Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Good Samaritan Put to the test

In my yard raking leaves takes a few hours - if that is what you mean by her having a ton of leaves, I'd make up some excuse.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM

I like the people that are saying "I'd do it for free" think that the $2 aspect of this what is important.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM

i'd do it. this is one of the times a poll would actually be useful.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM

this really depends on the amount of leaves in the yard. my yard takes about 5 hrs to rake. its not that big either. i think you guys are underestimating how long this could take.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 PM

tell her you want pie instead of the 2 dollars and do it
Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 PM

I was just objecting to him calling himself a Good Samaritan when he was clearly doing something solely for himself.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this really depends on the amount of leaves in the yard. my yard takes about 5 hrs to rake. its not that big either. i think you guys are underestimating how long this could take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wrap my head around this.

5 Hours means you are either stupid slow
or you have a pretty damn big yard

if you have that big of yard, you either have the means to afford a better way to do it (mulching mower or something) or it's too big to even bother raking.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Well BigPoppa is right, this is one of those things you do because you're a Good Person (or to convince yourself as much), and that is payment in and of itself.

I'm pretty bad at Good Person acts, the problem is they don't often come naturally so I feel guilty that I have to force myself to behave like a Good Person. It's like years ago I lived in an apartment near an old lady who was clearly on her last legs. She was legally blind or something and didn't do much but sit around and watch (or at least listen to) really loud TV. I stopped by from time to time for a visit, there was part of me that felt pretty badly about how much time she spent alone, and a part of me that felt odd just sitting around BSing with her and wondering if it was awkward for her too. This wasn't some Tuesdays with Morrie thing where she imparted a lifetime of wisdom, it was mostly just small talk until we ran out of stuff to talk about, then I left.

OP's conundrum is that if he does it it's not going to be a natural act, it's going to be forced or he would have done it already. So ultimately it will be a self-serving thing to do, it's just that in this case someone else benefits.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 PM

to me it doesn't matter if I'm only being nice because she asked. I'm a degnerate poker player and add very little to society, but it never hurts to be nice to people. I may pass out drunk in gutter someday and I'd like to think that I've doneenough decent things in my life that if a neighbor finds me they'd have the decency to roll me out of a puddle. Unless the leaves are 3 feet thick, I'll do it because I would want people to do nice things for when I need them. People have done nice things for me in the past. I'd bitch under my breath the whole but I'd still do it. Poker tables will still be there in an hour, but Grandma may be dead.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damn that sucks, I'd probably tell her although I got offers to rake top tier yards, I'd rather rake her yard, save a little money, and trust my solid performance to help me prevail over more prestigious rake wielders

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, just read this you son of a bitch.