Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Too tricky for low stakes?

First time posting a hand, definitely won't be my last, as I'm going to be trying to make this game my bread and butter. Card Selection seems to be so key, and alot of low stakes players can't grasp this. Plus my almost unlimited aggression and love of math... its a fun game for me without the heart attacks of Hold'em. Anyway.. on to this fun hand.

I was called a "calling station" after this hand by Villian as he left. While I think it might have been right for the first call.. IDK. He had been losing and entering plenty of pots.. so no real respect here. Here's my thoughts on it...

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

Hero: $8.50
Seat 2: $6.90
Seat 3: $16.05
Seat 4: $3.30
Seat 5: $10
Seat 6: $5.20
Seat 7: $9.85
Seat 8: $13.60

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

I think I have odds here to defend.. and decent doorcard.

4th Street - (4.60 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

Good low board showing.. I can take the momentum on the next street with the double bet. Seat 6 has bricked and is dead money, imo.

5th Street - (3.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

Representing the wheel, I try to calm them down to take it away on 6th or 7th.. seat 6 is definitely dead (unless trying to make a flush work.) Seat 3 has at most 2 pair. I don't think I caught the case 3.

6th Street - (9.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

Follow through... I still wondering why seat 6 stays in, but its okay. Maybe they are redrawing and 7th street will bring folds. Lots of chasers fold late.

River - (12.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls

Full house... bet it out since I have both beat.

Total pot: (15.80 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $7.90 | Rake $0.35
Hero: [2s Kc 2c 4d 3h 4s 2h] (HI: a full house, Deuces full of Fours)
Seat 4: [Ac Ah 3d 3s Td 6h Tc]
Seat 6: [As 8d Ad Kd Jc Qh Jd]
</font>
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Too tricky for low stakes?

lol, this is sick, i hope site shuffles hole cards
Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 AM

you played that bad. You lucked out on the river. Just cause you chased a hand till the river and made a full house does not justify it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
This is a fold 3rd. You are chasing at best two pair or trips on 4th. You are 3 cards to a low and I don't know what you are thinking.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 AM

Well, seeing 234 usually scares the crap out of me, especially since my VP$IP is at 25% at best. It is true that it was bad, I just didn't realize how behind I was. I usually don't play this bad, I swear [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Just seeing which parts were the worse parts for this hand.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 AM

id say 6th when you are nearly drawing dead and have 3 outs.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
id say 6th when you are nearly drawing dead and have 3 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Touché.

General question though: How often can a board bluff work? Or his "crying calling" with 2 pair allowed due to pot odds?

Just did the math... whoops. I guess if he doesn't put me on a wheel (I am agressive, so I doubt he will), his call is perfect. Oh well. Ended up tonight.. so will take this as a lesson and know that I won't get so lucky later on. Thanks for being blunt.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 AM

Fold 3rd. Fold 4th. Fold 5th. Yes, even though you're showing 2-3-4, they're going to put you on a low hand or a low draw, most likely not a made straight, and they're obviously both going high. Neither one is folding to your raise; they figure you're simply pumping a 3-way pot with the expectation to win half. If one of them does fold, the other is going to showdown with you just about 100% of the time, and you can't even beat what Seat 4 is showing.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 AM

Get Ray Zee's book.

Fold third. Fold fourth. Fold fifth. Check sixth and hope that they let you get there for free. K22 is almost never playable. You wouldn't be far wrong if you folded all pairs any time an Ace raised in a non-steal situation.

Your opponent doesn't know what a "calling station" is.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM

This is such a clear and easy fold on 3rd. Assuming that your opponents will give you credit for the wheel (exactly A5 in the hole) here is insane... like Jb said, they are both going high and are putting you on a low draw. When they call on 4th you have to put them on 2 pretty legit high hands that they are willing to take to 7th for half the pot. This play doesn't work at any stakes, IMO.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Yup. Bluffing 2 opponents in a split pot game is suicide.