Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Razz - playing a 9

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I guess I might be off base in the issue, but I really only think raising here is "very bad" when he has a slowplayed monster.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's a good regular, then slowplaying a monster in ep is a definite possibility (even tho I don't think betgo plays 3/6 much). It's a powerful play due to its deception and it obviously worked here. Also, if he's good then he's not betting 4th just b/c the software prompted him to -- he's got a hand, and it's almost always better than yours since you're overrepresenting your holding.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if he's good then he's not betting 4th just b/c the software prompted him to

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you're joking, but this is what I feel that a lot of people do. Just because they have the lower two cards they think they must bet.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he had only a slightly better hand than mine, which I read him for, I think raising here is good. Although maybe you disagree on this too?

[/ QUOTE ]
We might be able to answer this better if you explain why you think raising forth is good. Is is for value? To represent a strong hand so he'll fold now or on a later street? Both of those reasons seem wrong to me - perhaps you had something else in mind? You can't be ahead here 50%+ of the time, so raising for value is out. He's not folding 4th unless he's bluffing with a pair. As for getting a fold later, a 4th street raise bloats the pot, giving him better odds on 'thin' call on the later streets.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, if he's good then he's not betting 4th just b/c the software prompted him to

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you're joking, but this is what I feel that a lot of people do. Just because they have the lower two cards they think they must bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, it's not a joke. happens all the time.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read enough of his posts -- I don't think he was joking.

(Edited: he beat me to it... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

One note that I make on a player (when I see it, which is rare) is someone who will check-fold a better board than mine. This is such a mark of a solid player that it should never go unnoticed. It's somewhat exploitable if you notice that he never check-raises (reminder: if you can check-fold xxA2 then you better check-call and check-raise some times). It happened to me today, which is why I think of it. I am always wary of players who don't bet when it looks like they're supposed to.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If he had only a slightly better hand than mine, which I read him for, I think raising here is good. Although maybe you disagree on this too?

[/ QUOTE ]
We might be able to answer this better if you explain why you think raising forth is good. Is is for value? To represent a strong hand so he'll fold now or on a later street? Both of those reasons seem wrong to me - perhaps you had something else in mind? You can't be ahead here 50%+ of the time, so raising for value is out. He's not folding 4th unless he's bluffing with a pair. As for getting a fold later, a 4th street raise bloats the pot, giving him better odds on 'thin' call on the later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are some reasons:
1) If I represent a good hand now with a worse board, I may very well get checked to if we catch similarly on 5th street, if he doesn't have a great hand. Similarly, he is very unlikely to lead out into me on 5th if he pairs up.

2) (Assuming he doesn't have a great hand) I do think he is more likely to fold if I catch good on the next street, even if this does bloat the pot it's still only two extra SB.

3) I like to have an aggro image with weak hands, when I'm only marginally behind. A smooth 9 is really marginally behind an 8.

Obviously there are quite negative aspects to the play too, as you have all noted.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
One note that I make on a player (when I see it, which is rare) is someone who will check-fold a better board than mine. This is such a mark of a solid player that it should never go unnoticed. It's somewhat exploitable if you notice that he never check-raises (reminder: if you can check-fold xxA2 then you better check-call and check-raise some times). It happened to me today, which is why I think of it. I am always wary of players who don't bet when it looks like they're supposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain might check fold (92)A2.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Of course he might. But plenty of dumb villians are going to bet, because their board looks better. Someone who resists that urge and folds deserves a comment.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably a true characterisation that I am an over-aggressive donkey in this game.

Anyway, I guess I might be off base in the issue, but I really only think raising here is "very bad" when he has a slowplayed monster. If a weak line is best here I really think I should have just thrown this hand away on 3rd, which I guess maybe is the preferable play according to you guys?

[/ QUOTE ] I think "donkey" is a little harsh, you are a pretty smart player. I'm not sure I'd have folded on 3rd, tho' I generally don't play too many 9s. I like this one as a "take a cheap look" hand. And I am not saying 4th raise is wrong so much as saying, "Know why you do whatever you do." It's an axiom from my cop days - how you approach a car, hold a flashlight, take an attitude, you have to know why you do what you do the way you do it.

If this approach works for you, gets you more bets in the long run, then it does. If you go over your hands and think it isn't working so well, you might make a different choice. One thing for sure, if you suddenly tighten up, I bet all these people pay you off for a long time!