Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: What About Mukasy\'s Position on Waterboarding?

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that a legal police interrogation never causes extreme mental duress to the person being interrogated?

[/ QUOTE ]

well unless they're stupid they can stop it at any time by asking for a lawyer. also *any* physical duress is illegal.

let me guess, you now want non torture torture applied to suspected criminals?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Would it matter that we considered waterboarding a war crime in 1947 when the Japanese did it?

Does it matter that many people who supervise waterboarding in training our troops consider it torture, and say that it has no place in our armed forces outside of showing our soldiers what could happen if they fall into the wrong hands?

Does it matter that now we don't mind doing that which we condemned 60 years ago? I thought we were supposed to rise above our enemies, not stoop to their level. I don't know which is sinking faster: our dollar or our spirit.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it matter that we considered waterboarding a war crime in 1947 when the Japanese did it?

Does it matter that many people who supervise waterboarding in training our troops consider it torture, and say that it has no place in our armed forces outside of showing our soldiers what could happen if they fall into the wrong hands?

Does it matter that now we don't mind doing that which we condemned 60 years ago? I thought we were supposed to rise above our enemies, not stoop to their level. I don't know which is sinking faster: our dollar or our spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict within 5 or 10 years, almost all criminal activity will be considered terrorism.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Even if we didn't waterboard, or engage in other such practices, don't we (we being the USA) send suspects to Egypt or other countries that will do things a lot worse than waterboarding? Has Mukasy given his opinion on exporting suspects to be tortured?

In a related note, PBS will deal with the issue of "rendition" on Frontline tonight.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM

From the title I was hoping for some surfer post. Or some new technique of getting your clothes washed on the cheap and sly. But no, I have to be disappointed again.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of Democrats seem really worried about waterboarding, not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment also made me think the post had something to do with surfing or washing clothes. Hopes dashed twice.

-Zeno
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM

"A lot of Democrats seem really worried about waterboarding, not sure why."

They've always taken the surer vote for granted.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:33 PM

When your sister can't get out of NYC and Mohammed el-dirtbag knows where the dirty bomb is, if you tell me then that its still wrong to torture i'll believe you all.

Till you have a personal stake in it you don't have a clue what your real philosophy is.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When your sister can't get out of NYC and Mohammed el-dirtbag knows where the dirty bomb is, if you tell me then that its still wrong to torture i'll believe you all.

Till you have a personal stake in it you don't have a clue what your real philosophy is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok.

Well, if that's the case, I vote we use jumper cables, a vice, and two pairs of channel locks.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're working on the assumption that torture actually works.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The real question is Congress hasn't done something about waterboarding. They have much greater latitude to ban the process. They could criminalize it just because they found it repugnant.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this is the same problem with assault rifle bans. Congress can play semantic games with those who they seek to regulate on what specific practices the CIA will be permitted to use, but if they do that the CIA will just figure out new ways to torture people. It's much more important that the AG and Congress are on the same page on the broad issue: that torture is bad, it won't be used and an overly narrow definition of torture won't be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the way to accomplish this goal is to have a litmus test about a specific interrogation technique? That's the same thing, but less effective and less productive.