Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 AM

Default downswing has lead to terrible play, help please!

i hit a pretty rough 15k downswing playing 60% 3/6 and 40% 5/10 NL over 15k hands... i spent quite a bit of time going through my PT stats and honestly trying to assess my game, and wtf has really been going on during this downswing. with that said, i've come to the conclusion that although i've been running worse than horrible, i've made a ton of horrible plays...mostly i've been passive in the wrong spots and checking when i should bet. i've lost a ton of value bets, and what's worse is i've let a ton of hands get there. my sessions have had the same trend, i.e. lose with KK to TT on a 9 high flop, and the first thought that goes through my head is "here we go again". so my first instinct in to curtail my aggression, and play like a bitch. for example, i just finished a 2k hand session, and lost $340 5 tabling 3/6...the loss is fairly insignificant, however the manner in which i lost is significant. this session started off like all my sessions have recently, i lost with KK vs AK preflop for a standard 200 bb pot. then i picked up QQ and lost to JJ on a J high flop for another 200 bb's... then i recovered somewhat, played very nitty and somehow got paid off a couple times. however, in the mean time i won the bare minimum with AA vs KK on a Q high flop because of my fear of running into another set as i had already earlier in the session. needless to say, my mind is pretty throughly messed up and i'm totally off my game. aside from ranting, i was hoping to get some advice on what others do to deal with this kind of thing. how does one go about being totally indifferent to bad beats...and how does one go about totally disregarding that he's running bad (or atleast that he perceives himself to be running bad). this is a massive mental obstacle that i've hit that really has me questioning myself as a poker player. i've always been a winning player, and have NEVER doubted my abilities up until this point. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

cliff notes:

OP hit a sick downswing and is mentally screwed up. seeking advice on how to overcome said current situation.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Re: downswing has lead to terrible play, help please!

Tough one and I feel for you. Play long enough and I am sure we all go through the same thing. You just feel like you will lose every hand no matter what you hold.

No easy answer but at least you have identified where you are leaking chips. So you can rectify it. Play your hands correctly and play as though you are teaching someone. Each time a decision needs to be made tell your "pupil" what action is needed and play accordingly.

Assuming you are a winning player you will get through it. 15K in a hell of an amount though. I take it that if you are still playing the same levels you are properly bankrolled still. If not drop down accordingly.

It is a real bitch when you go through this. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM

Very standard, move down and regain confidence.

[ QUOTE ]
15K in a hell of an amount though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really lol.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very standard, move down and regain confidence

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right. i think i'm just being too much of a bitch because it's my first real big online downswing. the more i think about it, the more i realize this is standard.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does one go about being totally indifferent to bad beats...and how does one go about totally disregarding that he's running bad (or atleast that he perceives himself to be running bad).

[/ QUOTE ]

Play at a level where the money doesn't mean much because you have a very large bankroll relative to the buy-in.

For example, you can probably play tight and do fine with 10 buy-ins. 20 buy-ins is often recommended for multi-tabling on-line at NL. But maybe you should be playing with 50 buy-ins in your bankroll, even if you have to move down a level.

That way you can focus on +EV decisions and not worry so much about the dollar value of your wins and loses.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:49 AM

i have my longest downswing / break even streak since 4 years also. Result for me is that i nearly stopped to play poker. Have cashed out over 80% from my roll and live is nice without the game. Must say i never loved poker only loved the money.