Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: How would you handle this typical situation?

a) I'm leading out here. This is SOP for me with top and bottom in general, and especially with a two flush, I want to get money in now especially since I can comfortably 3 bet my hand. Overall I just don't like giving away free cards with top and bottom pair as it's a nice hand but, can also be counterfeited more easily then we'd like

b) I'm also betting out here. TPWK, I don't want to give away a free card and what can I say, me like hand, me bet. How we react to preceeding streets if we get raised on the flop depends greatly on who does the raising. If the tag does, and a non-diamond falls on the turn, I may be willing to donk the turn, if it's the CO, I'm just looking to call down as our kicker sucks and I'm just hoping that he's getting silly with a lesser hand

c) again, I'm betting out. with second pair and a BD Flush draw, this is a hand that is good enough to bet. getting raised would certainly not make us happy, and getting called wouldn't be all that great either, but betting out is best IMO

d) I'm 50/50 on betting out here and c/fing the flop. the pot's small and we may have the best hand, so it may not be a bad idea to take a stab here, but also, if we have the best hand only a 2 would make us feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside on the turn if we get called. If we get raised on this flop, it's an easy chuck. This one is interesting right here

e) I'm thinking c/fing the flop is best. all we really have is a BDFlush and this pot is way too small to peel the flop as there are exactly 0 implied odds here. If we were in the BB I may be willing to take a stab everynow and then at this, and would take a stab a lot more in position, but we're OOP and there's just too little to work with here

f) well, I wouldn't be completing here in the first place, and on this flop I'm definitely C/Fing. we have no draw, no pair and are OOP, all of that blows with this hand
Old 07-27-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most people hate threads where they have to write more than a word or two to respond

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God for people like Heisenb3rg. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most people hate threads where they have to write more than a word or two to respond

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God for people like Heisenb3rg. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I take after the best [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Plus stellarwinds insight I've always found very unique/interesting, so I figured its my duty to reply in a long winded way to his thread [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

Fairly brief reply:

a) C/r flop or lead turn if checked around
b) C/r flop or lead turn if checked around
c) The only tricky one on here personally. Probably bet and re-evalute.
d) check/fold all streets
e) check/fold all streets
f) check/fold all streets

d,e and f may be folding some equity but why get involved when Im likely behind the cutoff and likely to be outplayed by the good big blind?

And I would not complete hand f either.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM

a)I lead out.

b)I typically lead, sometimes I might c/c (rare) and others even c/r.

c)I often find myself leading in this spot. I typically do too, the only thing is sometimes you get to that stage vs the BB where you are pretty sure he has no Ace, and knowing that he play backs at you. Which is fine, cause I just c/r the turned Ace then.

d-f)I c/f. Pretty much constantly.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM

v nice post heisen

[ QUOTE ]
Cutoff limps first in. Cutoff is 45/12. Postflop he plays in a fairly straightforward manner and is neither good nor awful. Like most normal 6-max players he takes some shots at unattended pots.

The Button folds and Hero completes the 1/2 small blind with ??.

BB checks. BB is a typical 26/17 regular who knows you reasonably well. He tries to play well and quite often manages to do so but he's not a superstar.

Flop (3 players, 3SB): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

It's your turn. What is your plan with:

a) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
c/r
the same kind of hands that call our bet will bet if checked to, but not many of those hands would raise our lead. also people like to bluff these flops

[ QUOTE ]
b) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
c/r, see a

[ QUOTE ]
c) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
can't decide between bet and c/r. this is a close one.
I'm going to go with bet because I'm not really THAT happy with my hand and a c/r is going to freeze up a bunch of weak ace type hands.

[ QUOTE ]
d) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
c/f

[ QUOTE ]
e) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
bet. kinda depends on table image and stuff

[ QUOTE ]
f) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
c/f, I'd like to at least have some better outs when I take a stab at the pot here (see e)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM

by "table image and stuff" I mean how have I been playing in this situation in recent history

I play a lot of 3-4 handed where this situation comes up a lot. I usually lead my good hands here, except on really ragged or A high boards.

so if in the last couple rounds I've been betting out some good hands in this spot I'll be more likely to take shots because villains are going to be less likely to peel or look me up light
Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Without reading everybody else's work:

On the face of it straightforward play is as follows:

a) Bet, for value and to protect the nice hand from the flush draw.

b) Bet, as above.

c) as above

d) check and hope for a freebie (checkraise say 25%)

e)check and hope for a freebie (Checkraise 15%)

f) check and hope for a miracle.

I know it's simplistic approach but I'd rather bet to protect my made hands and hope to fold any hands that may suck out. Our button guy likes to steal and that's what you're hinting at. But how often can you say he will bet? 50% maybe less. I bet and if I get raised on the 1st three I don't feel bad at all. I may have to fold the t8s if I get too much heat or more overcards or the flush draw comes in.

My checks on the last 3 hands will leave me with the oppotrunity for the reraise should I wish. Hands d and e are the two to get jiggy with every now and reraise him as with the j9s you have 2 overcards to the 8 and a BDFD to give some hope should he not fold when you bet into him on the turn, provided he dosen't fold immediately. Again the 22 has some showdown value and a 2 would be christmas.

I prefer to raise the hands with minimal value on the flop as I can get away easier if he gets superagressive when played with.

The final hand is doomed, only a direct hit on the turn would spark me into life.

Of course we have to vairy our play the odd flop bluff with d and e timed correctly are in order but again I would not be overusing this play.

I just dont bluff hand f and check and fold it as it offers no getout whatsoever. I believe that every bluff you make in holdem should be a semibluff even if it's a 2 outer if you get called.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Opened this in a new tab a few days ago and have been meaning to reply. No time like the present.

a) I sometimes bet and sometimes check. Depends some on how often I think BB is to take a shot with something less than an A. Also on what my image is like to some extent. But mostly it comes down to seeing pros and cons on both sides and being inconsistent by nature.

b) I check and see. Betting out and getting raised sucks -- I'm often drawing to a split, but with two diamonds on board I can't feel great about folding. Taking down the pot ui also sucks a bit, though less so. I'll take it without complaint in a pinch. But I check and intend to take a passive line until given reason to change my mind. I sometimes donk the turn, or more often the river.

c) I c/r this hand by default if BU leads. I'd make a somewhat thin c/c closing the action if it went c-b-c. I'd consider c/r'ing if BU folds, but I might also just call and decide how I like the turn given how small the pot is.

d) I'd sometimes c/r BU if he folds quite a bit post flop and/or seems to be giving me a lot of respect. I'd fold most of the time. I'd sometimes lead and hope to take it down immediately if my bets are getting a lot of respect, but I'd prefer to do that with more outs.

e) Seems like a good hand to take a shot with. A lot of happy cards can fall on the turn. I like a bet. Though if we're being honest, I only occasionally recognized the situation at the table before this quiz. Hopefully I'll be a little more aware of it in future. Villains in my most recent game seem to call a ton, even on A-high boards... so the frequency with which I take shots has gone down quite a bit.

f) I just muck this.

Looking forward to reading the other responses.