Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: what is going on, india?!

[ QUOTE ]
The survey of more than 2,500 men aged between 16 and 25 conducted by India Today magazine across 11 cities found that 49 percent claimed to have had sex with a sex worker while 37 percent said they had had a homosexual experience.

But 63 percent of young men in conservative India said they expected the women they married to be a virgin.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do those two sentences relate? Is "conservative India" part of the 11 cities? What percent of those in "conservative India" had sex with a prostitute? I be it's much lower than 49%.

Despite this obvious misrepresentation of the poll results with the use of the word "but," some of the results are quite peculiar.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 AM

this may surprise a lot of you, but the likelihood of boys / men having some sort of homosexual encounter is relatively high, including the relatively common occurance of prepubescent or early adolescent sex play between boys. sometimes brothers. anyone who has studied child developmental psychology or worked in the field of child welfare can probably tell you this.

india's numbers may be high, but i wouldn't be surprised if they fall close to those in other parts of the world with regard to homosexual encounters.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The average age of their first sexual encounter appears to be falling -- to 18 years from 23 in a similar survey two years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 01:49 AM

Mmm hmm.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:57 AM

astro,

So, in an extremely sexually repressive society, deviant behavior is observed at shocking rates...

Actually I thought the situation in India was old news but good to see it getting more publicity.
J
Old 01-06-2007, 02:03 AM

I would imagine this could be true for certain demographics of India. A large majority of Indians live in rural areas of the country.

I would imagine in New Delhi, Bombay, and other large cities men are becoming this way. Most women still have to "sell" themselves as potential wives, so I would imagine that's why men can hold them to standards they don't hold for themselves.

A better poll would be to exclusively ask the men who have had sex before marriage if they expect their wives to be virgins.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Hopefully some of the 2+2ers of Eastern Indian heritage will chime in with their tales of homosexual hijinks and incest.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM

It doesn't say who did the poll or the margin of error; I would be very skeptical.