Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Bottom set meets all in reraise on turn on draw heavy board

Full Tilt Poker Game #3462603254: Table Coleman - $1/$2 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 19:50:21 ET - 2007/09/03
Seat 1: yy1988 ($293.45)
Seat 2: Assani Fisher ($200)
Seat 3: GeeBee ($73)
Seat 4: ozimaverik ($209.35)
Seat 5: cuonriver ($211.75)
Seat 6: Dorsal Fin ($193.55)
Seat 7: Scoop187 ($112)
Seat 8: gypsymystyc ($196.65)
Seat 9: Dave Magnum ($207.15)
yy1988 posts the small blind of $1
Assani Fisher posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Assani Fisher [5d 6s 5s Th]
GeeBee folds
ozimaverik folds
cuonriver calls $2
Dorsal Fin folds
Scoop187 folds
gypsymystyc calls $2
Dave Magnum folds
yy1988 calls $1
Assani Fisher checks
*** FLOP *** [5c 8h Ts]
yy1988 checks
Assani Fisher has 15 seconds left to act
Assani Fisher bets $11
cuonriver calls $11
gypsymystyc calls $11
yy1988 folds
*** TURN *** [5c 8h Ts] [Kd]
Assani Fisher bets $50
cuonriver has 15 seconds left to act
cuonriver raises to $198.75, and is all in
gypsymystyc folds
Assani Fisher has requested TIME

I feel as if this is a really tough spot. Obviously bottom set is a troubling hand and should not be played like its the nuts. With that said, the ten in my hand obviously made me feel a bit better about where I as at. And the flat call on the flop makes me discount a set of 8s a bit, although I could see why my slight overbet of the pot would cause him to just flat call. But a hand like A2KK is a possibility(although he probably would raise preflop there).

I can really see the arguments for either side here. I'm getting over 2-1 on my money. But the fact that I have no low, flush, or straight draws really hurt my equity. Still not sure how I feel.

Results in white:

<font color="white">
Assani Fisher calls $137, and is all in
cuonriver shows [Qs Ah Jh 2h]
Assani Fisher shows [5d 6s 5s Th]
Uncalled bet of $11.75 returned to cuonriver
*** RIVER *** [5c 8h Ts Kd] [2c]
cuonriver shows a pair of Twos, for high
Assani Fisher shows three of a kind, Fives, for high
Assani Fisher wins the pot ($412) with three of a kind, Fives
No low hand qualified
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $415 | Rake $3
Board: [5c 8h Ts Kd 2c]
Seat 1: yy1988 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 2: Assani Fisher (big blind) showed [5d 6s 5s Th] and won ($412) with HI: three of a kind, Fives
Seat 3: GeeBee didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: ozimaverik didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: cuonriver showed [Qs Ah Jh 2h] and lost with HI: a pair of Twos
Seat 6: Dorsal Fin didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Scoop187 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: gypsymystyc folded on the Turn
Seat 9: Dave Magnum (button) didn't bet (folded)
</font>
Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Bottom set meets all in reraise on turn on draw heavy board

It's a rainbow board, so not really draw heavy IMO. There are a handful of players I might find a fold against here but mostly I call; the number of players who will jam their combo draw on the turn as a semibluff vastly outnumbers the number who will slowplay a flopped set this way, and KK is just unlikely.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by draw heavy. I like the set here. Given the board...(and unfortunately no read on villian) I am inclined to think that this is just someone trying to take down the pot with the nut low draw, and some type of draw to the high as back-up. Villian is probably thinking that being up against a set is unlikely (as 55, 88 and 10,10 are not the greatest starting hands) and that just about every other hi hand or draw should fold to his all-in.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 PM

I agree with what Mendacious said, from his point of view, a set is unlikely and shoving here with a big draw isnt a terrible long run play as there is a lot of fold equit as any 2 pair is probably folding (unless it has A2/A3 backup with it which is also unlikely). I dont see too many people slowplaying sets to the turn on a two low card flop, most are just jamming it all in on the flop so I would feel pretty safe there

Also stats on cuonriver would have been helpful also as this could become difficult against a winning regular who might wait to shove until the turn, I have him as a 17.89/4.57/0.83 palyer over 3,600 hands or so and pretty much breakeven, his won at showdown isnt too high at 50.50%

I like your play though. There are a ton of players on FTP that just call flop and shove turn when they think people missed their low draw so calling a little light (maybe even top two vs some opponents) could prove very profitable on dry boards like this (no flush/straight draws combo due to rainbow board)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 AM

I'm not a fan of the bet sizing here, as the reverse implied odds suck. As bet &amp; without a read, this call however should be automatic.

Side notes:
-With stations stats, villians play IMO was +EV (considering: Hand &amp; Fold Equity--17.89/4.57/0.83 certainly looks like someone who comes over the top with a better hand a vast majority of the time. With the PFR% &amp; AF% numbers being the biggest contributers to this theory).

-From a metagame standpoint, your call was awesome.

[x] ICY pot y0
Old 09-06-2007, 02:50 AM

FWIW I don't use pokertracker or any of that stuff. I'd be curious if anyone could post the stats they have of me and tell me what they mean and how they relate to other good players.

Also regarding "draw heavy", there are multiple straight draws and a low draw. The only draw that wasn't there was the flush. Sorry if I misled though. Perhaps that was a poor word choice.

Mendacious agree with all of your post except that I was the BB and just checked preflop, so he has no info on my starting hand based upon that.

Curious...if you guys had villian's hand, what would you put me on and how would you play it?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious...if you guys had villian's hand, what would you put me on and how would you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Without a read:
-Put you on Top2-Set
-Usually call and hope you're to pot commited to get away from it/bluff a straight making low. Tough to put you on a LD to go with the strong made hand, given the weak tightness of your overbet.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I don't use pokertracker or any of that stuff. I'd be curious if anyone could post the stats they have of me and tell me what they mean and how they relate to other good players.

Also regarding "draw heavy", there are multiple straight draws and a low draw. The only draw that wasn't there was the flush. Sorry if I misled though. Perhaps that was a poor word choice.

Mendacious agree with all of your post except that I was the BB and just checked preflop, so he has no info on my starting hand based upon that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My stats on you are VPIP 24 and PFR 7.5 These are pretty standard stats for a somewhat tight aggressive player. In other words, someone who knows what they are doing, plays fairly predictably and profitably. I would say these stats make you solid (not someone who is profitable to have at the table) but not feared by most players-- which may work to your advantage.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My stats on you are VPIP 24 and PFR 7.5 These are pretty standard stats for a somewhat tight aggressive player. In other words, someone who knows what they are doing, plays fairly predictably and profitably. I would say these stats make you solid (not someone who is profitable to have at the table) but not feared by most players-- which may work to your advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, much appriciated. And I can't say that I disagree. I don't think I do anything that advanced, yet I just play solid and I certainly have winning overall results. Always looking for ways to improve though.