Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Time for a McJob

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] that, don't keep the job.

job's suck. we're all intelligent people that seldom see eye to eye with one another. your boss wants you to do [censored] that you don't want to do, you may be smarter than he/she. [censored] them. you have the potential to be your own boss. do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree w/ Cakewalk. Working for a boss is really [censored], especially when you're smarter/better educated than them. Doing their mindless work is pure degradation of the self.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Why not get someone to back you?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] that, don't keep the job.

job's suck. we're all intelligent people that seldom see eye to eye with one another. your boss wants you to do [censored] that you don't want to do, you may be smarter than he/she. [censored] them. you have the potential to be your own boss. do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree w/ Cakewalk. Working for a boss is really [censored], especially when you're smarter/better educated than them. Doing their mindless work is pure degradation of the self.

[/ QUOTE ]

while i generally agree with both of you, its really important to be honest with yourself and also understand (not accept, because it may not happen, but recognize) that you may not succeed and you may have to return to the work force empty handed. it happens to a lot of people and I think largely because they don't take the necessary adjustments needed when factoring in that it is a possibility, even if ever so remote. this fact will at least always keep you thinking about playing well and studying the game and making good decisions, as you know whats riding on it all.

good luck with it all.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Work for a bit and practice by dropping down to the 6.50s, where you must learn to play 20+ tables at once. Move up to the 16s or 11s and play 20+ (16 on FT?), then move up to the 20s/27s and see if you can keep up the same #. 5 tables you could play in your sleep once your brain gets used to playing abc icm poker, and your roi won't drop all too much at this level.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not get someone to back you?

[/ QUOTE ]

People have been suggesting this but I would feel awkward asking someone for money to play poker unless they actually played poker as well...I havn't made any notable poker playing friends that would be in the position to do such a thing

Figured id roll up my sleeves for a season and jump into the machine [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 AM

I'm not a pro player, but I hope one day to sort of be one, so here's my advice.

Take the job for 1-2 months. While you are working, play lower stakes occassionally and really LEARN. Don't focus on profit, focus on theorectical stuff and learn. Let the 1-2 months of working build some desire in you and remind you why you want to be your own boss. It can be your best motivator to always play your best and to keep learning and improving.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 AM

You might be able to get someone here to stake you if you can prove you're a winning player and are reliable for paying back the money.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 AM

Just my personal opinion, but there isn't any reason for anyone to ever require a stake for STTs. A winning player can grind a roll for the 16s from the 6.50s in a month quite easily, a roll for the 27s easily a month (or week) after that -- this is going by the 100 buyin rule. e.g., deposit 300-500 online, grind 6.50s till you hit 100 buyins to be on the safe side, make 1200-1500 your first month, then gring out a quick 1100 in the next week to month, depending on your volume, and you're now rolled for 27s. However, for someone playing for a living above the 16s, I'd almost like to recommend a > 150 buyin bankroll requirement. And like I mentioned in my previous post, if you're gonna play low limit I don't see why you wouldn't want to learn to grind way more than 5 tables at once-- so learn at the levels where mistakes are cheap.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be able to get someone here to stake you if you can prove you're a winning player and are reliable for paying back the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are a winning player and reliable for paying back the money there is no point in setting up a staking deal.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 AM

IMO if you are planning on having your only income come from poker you should have more than the recommend amout of buyins (which btw is usually 100 not 50). So $2000 minimum and I would suggest more. The very last thing you want is to put stress on yourself because of a bad downswing, this could get you to play poorly or not want to play at all. Keep your roll padded and I think you have a good chance of success assuming your ROI is over a decent sample and you can beat the games.

Good luck.