Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
If none of this works, and you are not willing to hire thugs to go get your money, you chalk it up as a loss and tell everyone you can not to deal with the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point, why not tip off the FBI? The guy took out of state bets, and also sent/received money across state lines. He committed federal crimes which fall under the jurisdiction of the FBI. If he ever used the US Postal Service, they should be contacted too (that may sound funny, but their law enforcement arm is no joke).

I'm not sure if it is possible to be an independent bookie in Syracuse, or if he is partnered up/paying "taxes" to organzied crime in Buffalo or NYC. If he does have dealings with organized crime, he would be even more [censored].

IMO, the threat of you ruining his life/business is the only chance you have of getting paid.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he does have dealings with organized crime, he would be even more [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a great way to ruin your own life.

Chalk up the losses. You weren't thinking the whole situation through and got burned.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You watch too many movies. If we lived in Mexico, Colombia, or even Italy, my advice would be to steer well clear of anyone who might even be a minor associate of an organized crime group.

In the US, organized crime relies on corruption, fear and intimidation (not unrestrained violence). An example is that people think bookies murder people who owe them money. How often do you actually think this happens? They start with threats, and move on to beatings. Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

In the US, the most dangerous criminals are the dumbest and least successful ones. If this guy was some stupid 18 year old clown who watched the Sopranos way too much, he would be a bigger danger to Daliman's life than a middle-aged, successful OC associate.

You should remember that the biggest, baddest gang in the world is the US government. Nobody [censored] with them (except excessively stupid and crazy people). Do you realize that in other countries the OC groups have been known to kill law enforcement, prosecutors, judges and random civilians? An environment of unrestrained, massive violence doesn't fly here. That's not how the successful organized crime groups work.

This guy isn't some dumb-ass gangbanger who is gonna shoot his fellow teenager because his doo-rag is the wrong color. He is a guy with a wife and kids, with a legitimate business. Even if he goes to his associates, they are just gonna tell him to sit tight and keep his mouth shut (in other words, do some small jail time).
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You watch too many movies. If we lived in Mexico, Colombia, or even Italy, my advice would be to steer well clear of anyone who might even be a minor associate of an organized crime group.

In the US, organized crime relies on corruption, fear and intimidation (not unrestrained violence). An example is that people think bookies murder people who owe them money. How often do you actually think this happens? They start with threats, and move on to beatings. Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

In the US, the most dangerous criminals are the dumbest and least successful ones. If this guy was some stupid 18 year old clown who watched the Sopranos way too much, he would be a bigger danger to Daliman's life than a middle-aged, successful OC associate.

You should remember that the biggest, baddest gang in the world is the US government. Nobody [censored] with them (except excessively stupid and crazy people). Do you realize that in other countries the OC groups have been known to kill law enforcement, prosecutors, judges and random civilians? An environment of unrestrained, massive violence doesn't fly here. That's not how the successful organized crime groups work.

This guy isn't some dumb-ass gangbanger who is gonna shoot his fellow teenager because his doo-rag is the wrong color. He is a guy with a wife and kids, with a legitimate business. Even if he goes to his associates, they are just gonna tell him to sit tight and keep his mouth shut (in other words, do some small jail time).

[/ QUOTE ]

I should also add that I just said he should tip off the FBI. I am not saying he should walk into the local crime lord's office and say "I am taking over" or anything like that.

Just drop this guy a hint that you are gonna go to the FBI.

If he doesn't pay up, go ahead and do it. You are just tipping them off, and telling them what to look for. You wouldn't need to testify or anything like that. You would just start the ball rolling, and give them a reason to start the investigation/surveillance.

Also, being scared that they will jump all over you for PLACING bets is just more of being scared of your own shadow. They want info on serious criminals.

If you know some specifics about how his business works (where is the wire room, what is the phone number, who works for him, etc.), then so much the better.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM

PO,

Thank you for clearing up the status of organized crime in America. I'm glad we have an expert on the Mafia here on 2p2. Many thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PO,

Thank you for clearing up the status of organized crime in America. I'm glad we have an expert on the Mafia here on 2p2. Many thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my info is gleaned from watching movies and TV sitcoms. I'm glad I could help.

The real answer is that the "Mafia" (you are misusing this term, showing your ignorance) will track down and kill Daliman's family (probably using a bomb), even if they go into the Witness Protection Program.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PO,

[/ QUOTE ]

All of my info is gleaned from watching movies and TV sitcoms. I'm glad I could help.

The real answer is that the "Mafia" (you are misusing this term, showing your ignorance) will track down and kill Daliman's family (probably using a bomb), even if they go into the Witness Protection Program.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought first they kill the family pet, then they threaten his wife/kids in a grocery store parking lot... Have I been taking notes from the wrong shows?

Should I reference Goodfellas or Godfather again?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought first they kill the family pet, then they threaten his wife/kids in a grocery store parking lot... Have I been taking notes from the wrong shows?

Should I reference Goodfellas or Godfather again?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are right. The family pet does definitely get it.

This is how it happens.

1. Daliman leaves an anonymous tip to the FBI
2. the FBI figures out who Daliman is and arrests him
3. the FBI tips off the Mafia, who they are in bed with
4. Daliman's entire extended family is "whacked"
5. Daliman gets out of prison after 20 years, vowing revenge

That's probably how it would play out.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 PM

This thread gets even better. Thanks Post-Oak.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Committing a murder would be extremely rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sold. If you do end up getting murdered, your wife can always tell people that you did the right thing in Sklansky terms and blame your death on being results oriented.