Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Default ***Official Big10 bball 2006-7 season thread***

Instead of 4 or 5 separate team threads, let's throw all the bs homerism in here.

Right now, I expect
1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Illinois

It should be a really down year for the conference. tOSU and Wisconsin are the only teams that have a real chance at making noise on the national level.

IT's a big question if the youth of Ohio State and Oden's injury can recover in time to bring their top talent to the crown.

Wisconsin brings projected POTY Alando Tucker and an experienced group to town.

Illinois benefits from a great schedule (ohio state and wisconsin once in Champaign), but questions abound from McBride's DUI, Randle's Groin, Randle's outside shot, Frazier's outside shot, and Meachem's ability to contribute at the Big10 level.

My guess is that as few as 4 Big10 teams will make the NCAA, but I expect 5. 2 teams in the sweet sixteen. 1 in the Final Four if the Big10 is lucky, or if Oden is fully recovered from his injury and the bounces go right.

Tucker for POTY
Brian Randle as the guy who surprises everyone.
Adam Haluska as the most overrated.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: ***Official Big10 bball 2006-7 season thread***

some decent Illini overviews today from ESPN columnist and the Daily Herald.

Questions everywhere, but the big10 does blow.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that as few as 4 Big10 teams will make the NCAA, but I expect 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think their preformance as a whole in the tournament over the last couple years, and especially last year, will hurt Big10 bubble teams come selection time?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM

well...2 years ago, they had 2 in the final four and 3 in the elite 8.

Last year, they caught some bad breaks(*cough* UofI verse Washington *cough*), but did stink it up.
The past year's debacle definitely should affect. The league is really down, worse than last year, and does not have sweet 16 caliber teams.

Wisconsin and tOSU seem a threat....Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, and Penn State are HUGE questions and unlikely to break through this year. Maybe, Purdue and Michigan can make their way to that bubble tier, too. It really depends on what arguments the other bubble teams across the country make. If the bubble field is strong, the big10 will be hurting.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:34 PM

I'm mixing my years up then. Was it 2004 that they were top heavy, but still got a good amount of teams into the tourney? I'm too lazy to look up what I'm thinking [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM

last night was the first Illini game. A complete whip-out yawner against Austin Peay State.

The big issue for the Illini is injuries. Randle restrained his groin and will be out 1-2 weeks. That looks to be a nagging long-term issue for the Illini. The worst thing is that Jamar Smith, the sharpshooter and improved slasher to the land, got a bad ankle sprain and will be out 4-6 weeks. With McBride out for the next 3 games still, the Illini are now without their top 3 players. The games verse Maryland and Arizona look much more difficult now if the Illini make it to them undefeated. The only bright spot is that the role/bench players have a better chance to develop.

Pruitt looked great down low. Frazier looks much better. The Illini D is for real, but Warren Carter still has the occassional lapse. Jamar Smith was the story of the night as he had 19 points early in the second half before being injured.

the view from my season tickets are below. The blue spot is the season tickets i had for 2004-05. Oh well, not being a student, it's tough to work my way up anymore.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM

Butler tags Indiana showing how weak the big10 is and, in my biased opinion, what IU can expect from Sanctions coaching.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Oden is expected to come back quicker than normal, which should really help tOSU's ability to win the big10 as they have more time to mesh.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 AM

Any chance my alma mater MSU will make any noise this season? Looks like a down year for the program, but I'm kinda far from the action so it's hard to tell. Too many players leaving after one or two years of college have taken their toll.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Butler tags Indiana showing how weak the big10 is and, in my biased opinion, what IU can expect from Sanctions coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound bitter. I actually prefer watching games in Champaign instead of Bloomington. No pesky banners blocking your view at the U of I.