Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 02:36 AM

Default Handling a drunk situation with the family

Looking for OOT's advice on how to diplomaticall handle a family situation with my cousin.

Initial part of the story occured about 3-4 years ago after an all day concert. I went on invitation of my cousin (who is 15 years older than me) with his sister, fiancee and some of their friends to an all day show. -Cut to the parking lot afterwards- I'm talking to this girl in the parking before we all leave. She is VERY friendly. It turn out that she has a boyfriend still inside the show, his friend(even more wasted than anyone around us) sees us talking and flirting. When her boyfriend comes out, the friend tell him what was going on and continues to exagerate our involvement. The friends story goes from us flirting to me harassing her and grabbing her ass in about 10 mins. Boyfriend gets fired up and wants to scrap. I really wasn't trying to fight some random dude in a concert parking lot over his slutty girlfriend. I'm about 6' 190, this dude was about 6'3, 230.

At this point my cousin (6'6 270) steps in, softball bat from his trunk in hand, and declares the situation over. While the other guy tried to still act tough, he was done. Problem is, as we were driving away, my cousin yells out "yea buddy, I grabbed her ass too." This was followed by a schreeching halt to the car in concert traffic. 2 mins later, the guy comes up and punches my cousin through the window. By the time I'm out of the car, my cousin has the guy in a head lock on the ground hitting him. The drunk friend triend to get on my cousin, but I hit him once he was done. I got my cousin off of him and we left before security arrives.

-Cut to now. He almost always brings up at family fuctions the night he "bailed me out," always neglecting to mention his comments that took things to the next level. I'll stress that the most important part of the situation to me is that my cousin stepped up for me in the clutch despite the risk to his job and fiancee, but his tale of the story sort of makes me undeservidly feel like a scumbag in front of my extended family. He's married now with a kid. I know part of the reason he always talks about it is to relive his freedom and crazier days. I also feel like I sort of came through on my part by hitting the friend and making sure he didn't jump in. Any advice on how to best (1) tell him not to mention it any more without seeming ungratefull or (2) indicate to my family that its not the full version of the story without disgracing him?

Cliff notes: Cousin bailed me out of a fight then escalated it; tells family a different version; how to not seem ungrateful when rectifying it.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Handling a drunk situation with the family

just laugh when he brings it up
Old 07-15-2006, 02:45 AM

Who cares. Just laugh with whatever version he slings. It's not worth contesting. Funny story though.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:37 AM

Do you watch NASCAR?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:42 AM

Just mention the ass grabbing comment and how he got smacked in the face, who cares, its a funny story right?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just mention the ass grabbing comment and how he got smacked in the face, who cares, its a funny story right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah... this shouldn't be a problem other than being a funny story. If you disagree with how he's telling the story, pull him aside to talk to him about it when he's sober (or sober enough). Everyone has drunken stories. Everyone involved in those stories tells them a different way... there is no reason to be suprised.

Funny story, though.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:10 AM

So far, the general advice has been to make a joke of it, and this may be the best and most natural way to handle the issue.

But if you really can´t stand to hear the story anymore, which seems to be the case here, I think there´s nothing wrong with telling your cousin at the next opportunity, and in front of your whole family, to stop bringing it up every single time. Tell him that you´re tired and annoyed of it and that it has become boring to discuss the incident again and again. This should be mildly embarassing for him and teach him to shut up in the future.

cliff notes: Stop being a pussy. Tell him to shut up.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So far, the general advice has been to make a joke of it, and this may be the best and most natural way to handle the issue.

But if you really can´t stand to hear the story anymore, which seems to be the case here, I think there´s nothing wrong with telling your cousin at the next opportunity, and in front of your whole family, to stop bringing it up every single time. Tell him that you´re tired and annoyed of it and that it has become boring to discuss the incident again and again. This should be mildly embarassing for him and teach him to shut up in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry but this is like the worst advice ive ever read on OOT. if your going for sarcasm/comical value you missed your mark.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im sorry but this is like the worst advice ive ever read on OOT. if your going for sarcasm/comical value you missed your mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you basically think that telling an annoying person to stop being annoying is a really bad idea? Could you explain this a little bit more in detail?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:13 AM

Who cares? Unless he's saying you were actually grabbing a chick's ass like an idiot, then about to or already getting your ass beat before he stepped in and took care of your pansy ass, then it's no big deal.