Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Exploiting 3bets deepstacked theory

This spot came up today which I thought was interesting. Normally I hate those hands where Hero's hole cards are hidden, but I think it is good here.

Button and BB are both solid tags in the 21/17 range, and this is the first time BB has 3bet me. My image is pretty aggressive due to being in a few 4bet pots on this particular table.

Anyways, BB's range is likely pretty wide here. Not only is a lot of mediocre hands in his range, but also he pretty much has to fold AK/QQ/JJ, right? He probably isn't even thrilled about being 4bet this deep with KK.

Considering how much of his range I'm folding out, I should pretty much be 4betting this a ton and in similar spots with deep stacks right? If you're BB in this hand, how light are you getting it in after being 4bet like this with 200bbs against an aggressive TAG? If you're not folding stuff like QQ/JJ, are you shoving or flat calling?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

<font color="#C00000">BB ($1125.61)</font>
UTG ($394)
MP ($257.45)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($842.40)</font>
Button ($314.90)
SB ($506)

Preflop: Hero is CO with ?[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], ?[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, Button calls $16, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $72</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $180</font>, Button folds, BB ???
Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Exploiting 3bets deepstacked theory

[ QUOTE ]
My image is pretty aggressive due to being in a few 4bet pots on this particular table.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
he pretty much has to fold AK/QQ/JJ, right? He probably isn't even thrilled about being 4bet this deep with KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehmmmm
Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 AM

200 BB deep, I usually 4 bet a ton of hands vs regs based on the reasons you gave. They pretty much have to give up all pots unless they flop a set with J-J or Q-Q
Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Nice post.

I think when deep stacked (I define deep stack as 200BB+) the preflop game becomes negated to a degree. For instance my 3betting range with 100BB's is ridiculously wide from a Btn open because #1 Most people play more hands from the Button which means on average their hands will be weaker.
#2 The raise is a larger % of their stack which means postflop skill is less relevant.

Now with 200BB's I think 3betting ranges should become more polarized. 3betting suited connectors/small pairs/KK-AA and flatting AK/10's-QQ's preflop seems like a good adjustment.

You want to maintain the value of mediocre-good hands by flat calling because 3betting deep leaves you exploitable by
A. The light 4bet as A5 mentions.
B. The legit 4bet where you completely lose value with good but not great hands.

The whole allure of 3betting pf when 100BB is the defining of hands. When someone raises you 10% more of your stack you are forced to make a decision. Even more threatening than that is the potential future bets opponents will have to call, this is why 3betting with 100BB works so well.

When 200BB+ deep that threat isn't there or it is but to a lessr degree. Since now it is ONLY 5% of your stack you are being asked to put out before you know the flop. From a pure game theory perspective we know that no reasonable hand you would call a 3 bet can be more than a 4:1 dog. So even IF you are a 20% favorite it still benefits you to make that call given the implied odds.

In conclusion, polarize your 3betting range when deep to premiums and junk and flat call pf with your medium strength-good hands.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 AM

He could decide to flatcall and play poker, which leaves you in a nasty position with a medium strength hand.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 AM

I'm definitely not going to give him credit for folding JJ/QQ in this spot and sometimes not AK though I'm not sure about that.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM

Great post Speed, thanks. I'm going to try adding that into my game.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:46 AM

Speed - your idea of flatting TT-QQ, AK is bad imo. People aren't going to be 4betting you soo often as to make 3betting AK and QQ bad - there is still a tonne of value to be had by 3betting those hands.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speed - your idea of flatting TT-QQ, AK is bad imo. People aren't going to be 4betting you soo often as to make 3betting AK and QQ bad - there is still a tonne of value to be had by 3betting those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I agree this is just how I would adjust IF someone was 4betting me light. i.e. opponents that are better than me or very aggressive pf.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I agree this is just how I would adjust IF someone was 4betting me light. i.e. opponents that are better than me or very aggressive pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was the case and I had say QQ I would 3bet pre and not plan on folding very much [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]