Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Taking a leave of absence from my life and traveling...Any advice?

Cliffs at bottom

Background:

For the past two years since I finished undergrad, I have been working full time and doing grad school part time. Currently, I am 24 and work as a corporate accountant. I make roughly 50,000 a year for working no more than 40 hours a week in a pretty relaxed environment. My job has been pretty flexible about taking off time for school and, in general, is not too bad of a gig.

One problem I am facing however is, I don’t care about what I am doing, and I don’t think I ever really have. I got my degree because I didn’t mind the material and it seemed practical, and then I started grad school and a job because of those seemed like logical next steps. This has all seemed fine in the past but in recent history (past 6 months) I have been dealing with what I can only describe as massive burnout. As it stands today, I’m 4 classes away from my masters, and I’m supposed to start back class on Monday. The problem is, I’ve gotten so sick of the entire thing that I can’t even remember why I’m doing it anymore.

My Plan:

I’ve decided to take a break from school, resign from my job, and take an extended road trip, basically hitting up all my friends and family that live across the east coast. I’m not sure how long I will be gone, though it could easily be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how things go and how I feel. I’m not sure of my exact route but the rough draft so far looks like: Tallahassee, Atlanta, Memphis, Cincinnati, Dc, Boston, Detroit, and possibly more just kind of depending. Money is also not really an issue, I have more than enough saved and my only fixed expense is a 340/month car payment,

To be honest, I’m not sure what exactly I’m trying to accomplish, or if it will accomplish anything. I definitely stand the chance of leaving for two months, coming back, and still not being sure what I want to do. On the other hand, I feel confident that what I am doing at this very moment is not the correct path, and if I stay on it much longer I might not be able to get off.

I guess I’m just curious, has anyone felt trapped in a situation and done something some may call drastic? I’d also be open to any other advice/suggestions. Any places you think might be worth hitting up on the trip? I’ve got nothing but time.

Cliffs: Disillusioned with my current path, im quitting my job, taking a break from grad school, and going on a massive road trip in hopes that I can have some fun and possibly figure out what I want to be doing.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Taking a leave of absence from my life and traveling...Any advice?

Now is the best time to shake things up as you really have nothing to lose. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone working a regular gig goes through the same thing. My suggestion would be to scrap the U.S. road trip and go overseas. It's far more interesting and you'll gain some perspective on different cultures and approaches to life.

I took two months last summer traveling through Africa, Europe, and Asia, and found this website as a pretty good way of keeping in touch - maybe it'll give you some ideas:

TravelPod
Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

go for it, you yourself know you won't be happy at your job without a break
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks Groove, i'll check that out, though whereas money wouldn't be an issue with the current plan, I think it might be of some concern with the overseas one.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure you won't be "finding yourself" by going to places like tallahasse, cincinatti and detroit(lol).

I would strongly suggest going to less familiar places if your goal really is to obtain a new outlook on life.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Stay out of the big cities, unless you have to drive THRU them. Their all the same anyhow. Take the secondary roads and stop in the small towns. Eat/stay at the local joints and enjoy the local culture. By just visiting the larger cities you'll find nothing.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, I’ve gotten so sick of the entire thing that I can’t even remember why I’m doing it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh....don't throw away all the hard work you've put in already. This is not one of those "sunk cost" situations. Master degree is useful in many instances.

[ QUOTE ]
I’m 4 classes away from my masters

[/ QUOTE ]

Finish school. Really.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay out of the big cities, unless you have to drive THRU them. Their all the same anyhow. Take the secondary roads and stop in the small towns. Eat/stay at the local joints and enjoy the local culture. By just visiting the larger cities you'll find nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Godspeed BizzaroMan!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you won't be "finding yourself" by going to places like tallahasse, cincinatti and detroit(lol).

I would strongly suggest going to less familiar places if your goal really is to obtain a new outlook on life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those weren't random choices, I picked places where I know people so I will have a place to stay for free. As well, the places aren't that familiar to me.