Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Default I can’t stop playing poker

I’ve been playing poker (almost entirely on the internet) for just over a year. I spend pretty much all my free time playing. I’m playing so much now that it’s beginning to impinge on my time with my fiancée and is affecting my college work.

I have kept track of my deposits etc… and I am an overall winner, although not by a lot. Over time I’ve moved from $1 sit n go’s up to $5. I’ve played about 600 in total. Recently I’ve also been playing ring games at .10/.20.

I’ve been going through a lot of turbulence in my bankroll recently. Sometimes I think I want to move up to higher stakes (sick of getting drawn out) and other times I think I’d be better off to just quit. Though I love the game so much (if I’m not playing I’m reading poker books or watching poker shows) I don’t think I really want to (or could) quit anyway.

I think it would be great if I could limit my poker playing to like 2 hours midweek and 2 on the weekend, while still getting enough excitement for the “fix” etc…

I also find it hard to manage my emotions when I’m losing and start throwing money away. I love money too much to do this! I think playing less would improve my game too becuase then I have time to cool off and compose myself.

My reason for posting is to get advice from anyone who can suggest a good time management system for poker playing or resources on will power/motivation that they have found useful? Anything of that kind. Anyone else had similar problems and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: I can’t stop playing poker

Forgive the bluntness, but you probably shouldn't be gambling at all.

Playing microstakes poker should be a small/recreational thing. If its screwing up a relationship, it is NOT worth it.

Maybe try setting a specific 'personal' time which can be used for playing cards. Saturday mornings or whatnot. I'm not sure from your post if this will work. I think a couple weeks totally away from the game at a minimum would be better.

And now the constructive part:
Don't move up in stakes unless you want to go broke. All that will change is that the better players will be better and the donks will still be the same. You won't be able to move up anywhere near far enough to get away from that class of player.

As for emotional issues, you can't be concerned with winning and losing. Your goal at poker is not to make money, it is to make good decisions that are long-run profitable. Make that your goal while playing, and let the money take care of itself...if you really are a good/winning player, it will come.

Mental discipline is a huge part of this game. It is very simple to teach someone a near-optimal strategy for this game. It is much harder to deal with the swings involved in the game.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM

What I think you should do: Write you poker site and tell them to lock your account for a period of 2-weeks (minimum). During this 2-week period, do some other [censored] and get your life back on an even keel. After then 2-week period you can start playing again and you likely won't be in your currently obsessed state.

Lucky
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive the bluntness, but you probably shouldn't be gambling at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Mental discipline is a huge part of this game. It is very simple to teach someone a near-optimal strategy for this game. It is much harder to deal with the swings involved in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, & QFT
Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM

Obviously you need to get your fiancee to play poker on teh interwebs. Then you guys will be spending more quality time together.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 PM

You have a couple of options:

1. Quit playing poker online (ask the poker rooms for a voluntary lock-out of your account).

2. Quit school and leave your fiancee so you can play more break-even poker.

Seriously, if your are just playing recreational poker and it is negatively affecting your life, you have a gambling addiction. Do something to nip it in the bud.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM

I used to play all the time during my first year at College. I have gone through those swings, playing at higher limits than what I was rolled for, and just being very emotional about it all. When Pokershare went down the first time, all the money in my bankroll was sent to me by check. Coincidentally, I needed to buy books for the next semester and was running low on cash. I used the poker money, had enough money to live on, and didn't redeposit for a year and a half. I just started playing again with money that I used from selling a WoW account (thats another fun obsession that had to stop when I had no extra money.) What I've found is that if you stop whatever addiction it is for an extended period of time (2 months or more), its very tough to get started again and you can be more mature about it, controlling when and how you play. Pay attention to real life, manage your priorities, and everything works better. Take 2 months off, especially since finals have to be coming up for you, and maybe even withdraw some of the money for your finacee and christmas. You can learn to respect it as a hobby, and not an obsession.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Nip it in the Bud!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 PM

I wouldn't say that playing poker is "screwing up" my relationship or my course. I just said that I think I've been playing too frequently.

I imagine there are plenty of people on this forum who play poker more than I do - i mean we love the game, that's why we're here right? - so why do some of you think I should quit playing entirely?

Thanks for the replies.

I think taking time out is a good idea.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:44 PM

If you cant stop playing then you may have to admit you are an addict. There is nothing wrong with wanting to play all the time but when it is affecting your relationship then its time to step back and see if you have a problem.

As mentioned above step back for 2 weeks. Romance your lady, dinner flowers etc, spend some time with friends. anything but sitting playing on virtual felt.

If you cant honestly do this then you may have a problem and may need to see someone about it. This can become so destructive and you will only come to realise this when people around you become so unhappy and do drastic things like leave you.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play poker. I play most evenings as I cannot sit and watch a tv show without becoming bored. But i will take time out to spend time with the g/f or play on a laptop in the same room. Haha i also donate 10% of any winnings to the g/f so she has a vested interest in my playing. Shes never earned so much cash from watching her favourite shows.

In all seriousness you need to take control of your playing. youve made the right step in identify a problem. next step is action. Dont put yourself in situations where you will be bored while away from poker, do something constructive. Hit the gym, learn a new skill, read a book, cinema etc. break the cycle and you will come back a stronger poker player for sure.