Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

[ QUOTE ]
...god spraying meaning-juice on things...

[/ QUOTE ]

ha.

Wow. Someone needs to invent that.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM

Very interesting point. I can speak on this as someone who very recently dived headlong into religion, then did a very abrupt 160-180. (Nevermind how or why, because it would take too long to explain...suffice it to say that I went from "atheist" to "true believer", and back again to "atheist/agnostic" in short order.)

My direct experience of this question falls along this line:

Yeah, it's nice/great to be loved. But when one believes that he/she is loved by an all-powerful, perfect, all-knowing being - indeed creator - it's a more profound experience. Somewhere along the lines of "Hey, nothing can hurt me badly at all, because the ultimate power's got my back." You feel as though nothing can touch you in any profoundly negative way, and you also feel "special" or "chosen" (my experience), and this in turn adds some idea of responsibility and purpose that would otherwise be absent.

Btw, I'm thinking right now after having gone through these recent transitions that it sounds really great in theory, but alas is very likely no more than wishful thinking and a whole lot of self-centered silliness. (unless, that is, God really exists and is going to send me to hell for posting this, in which case I can only say "hey...didn't see you there...just kidding!!")

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then it does not depend on his existing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It most certainly does depend on his exisitng. What you fail to understand is that when you believe in God, when you accept him, then he exists. That is what is mean by belief. Religion is based on Faith. If you are looking for proof forget it there is no proof. God exisits for those that accept him and love him and in return he loves those that beieve in him. What is it that you do not understand about that?

[ QUOTE ]
not god spraying meaning-juice

[/ QUOTE ]

Here yu are being chldish. You do not want to discuss, you want to ridiule. I'm done with this.

pokervintage
Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here yu are being chldish. You do not want to discuss, you want to ridiule. I'm done with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of what gets passed off as logic around here is nothing more than the weak wit of ridiculous metaphors and analogies applied to witless misinterpretations and willfull misrepresentations.

PairTheBoard
Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 AM

I see the issue the otherway around - atheism makes life meaningless. My point is that if we are going to die, nothing what we do or do not really matters in the end. The latest form is the most important and if its literally nothing... Now religion gives us a chance for an eternal life and thuss the possibility for any kind of meaning.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see the issue the otherway around - atheism makes life meaningless. My point is that if we are going to die, nothing what we do or do not really matters in the end. The latest form is the most important and if its literally nothing... Now religion gives us a chance for an eternal life and thuss the possibility for any kind of meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does a longer life span lead to more meaning?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:28 AM

If you knew you would die in an hour, how big meaning the next hour could ever have? Same goes on for the whole life. Religion doesn't promise more lenght but eternity.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you knew you would die in an hour, how big meaning the next hour could ever have? Same goes on for the whole life. Religion doesn't promise more lenght but eternity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that that next hour would be the most important hour you would ever expect to experience.

If you had unlimited hours the value and meaning of each one would surely reach zero.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM

What do you think of that hour after your death? How do you value it? It is simply not possible thuss its meaningless in the long run, pure and simple.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of that hour after your death? How do you value it? It is simply not possible thuss its meaningless in the long run, pure and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does increasing the number of hours to infinity increase their value?

Do you have a measure of value where [value] is directly proportional to [ability to exist for eternity]?

I can state that "exisiting for eternity is meaningless"; how would you respond?