FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of tolerance at work with alcohol. The first is metabolic tolerance in which the alcohol is metabolized at a higher rate (up to 72% more quickly) in chronic users. Because of the higher metabolic rate for alcohol lower peak blood alcohol concentrations are achieved by chronic alcohol users than the average drinker when the same amount of alcohol is ingested.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intox.com/physiology.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys: acknowledge that through science I just pwned you

[/ QUOTE ]

no you didn't

you are assuming the body has had a reasonable amount of time to process the alcohol. If you and I take three shots of tequila and measure our BAC's, they'll be the same.

re-science-pwnage ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol reading comprehension = fail

an alcoholic / person with higher alcohol tolerance will register a lower BAC after an equivalent amount of alcohol intake than someone with no tolerance/low tolerance. that was my point. you just replied "false", and you're wrong. stop acting like god's word on all things drunk driving in this thread ffs, it's getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I said false to:
[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but what happens to an alcoholic / someone who drinks constantly is you can have a lot more beers before you blow a .08; eg it might take you 2-3, while an alcoholic might be able to have 6 or 7 beers and blow a .0698 or something

[/ QUOTE ]

The second quote is false. If you don't understand why then fine, but don't take your anger out on me.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM

ahhh the old tried and true argument method of "I'm right, and if you don't understand why, then you're an idiot"

just give it a rest. we're tired of the soapbox preaching.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM

I think we can all agree that OP has done something very wrong and that mrh is probably a scumbag. We all (hopefully) also agree that there needs to be a line somewhere on allowing people to drive recklessly. If you think that line is too close now, that's somewhat understandable.

The reason people like myself get so angry about drunk driving (to adress someone the person who was talking about murder/rape earlier) is because there seems to be this attitude (mostly amongst young folk) that it's alright, that to be against it is lame and uncool and that it isn't that big a deal. Well, [censored] you. It is that big a deal, because I'm not talking about legality here, I'm talking about some [censored] who thinks it's alright to drink for 6+ hours and get in a car because he's hungry, [censored] everyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't bring myself to point out for the millionth effing time in these threads how artificially low .08 is and how the proselytizers probably drive over that limit fairly regularly without even realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tup,

it was beat into my head at a very young age (at drivers ed, school, etc) how easy it was to be "legally" drunk. I imagine it was similar for most people here.

I agree that the laws may be too harsh, but people who drive legally drunk usually know it, they have just chosen to ignore it. or, they have forgotten what they once knew.

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I said false to:
[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but what happens to an alcoholic / someone who drinks constantly is you can have a lot more beers before you blow a .08; eg it might take you 2-3, while an alcoholic might be able to have 6 or 7 beers and blow a .0698 or something

[/ QUOTE ]

The second quote is false. If you don't understand why then fine, but don't take your anger out on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why you think this is false given what mbillie posted... Can you elaborate on this?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM

I had to stop reading this ass of a thread about 20 replies in, some of you need to stop coddling [censored] w/ complete disregard for everyone around them and only care about themselves. People make mistakes and should be forgiven but 3 times doesn't deserve anything but, "watch yur cornhole."
Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you know all those poker bad beats stories you hear, do you actually believe all of them? People like to dress themselves up in the best way possible to the outside world, even if you are their best friend or some stranger at the bar

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they do. But I would rather err on the side of caution and give some folks whose opinion I respect the benefit of the doubt than give authority absolute power to do things like illegal stops

[/ QUOTE ]-If the stops were illegal, you can't be charged with DUI. The problem is, pretty much any stop is legal.[ QUOTE ]
and tell everyone who complains that they're a bunch of whiners and that their stories are BS. You seem perfectly content dismissing everyone with a complaint, no matter how legitimate or otherwise. I am not fine doing that, and would like to think I can judge for myself the credibility of these outcomes, and thanks to the internet there are reams of data/links that back up that things have gone too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you blow a .08, you are impaired to the point where you shouldn't be driving. If you don't feel drunk, its because you are more used to it, not that you are less impaired. Blowing a .08 requires a significant amount of alcohol and is easily preventable. Because of this, I don't feel sorry for your friends (or my uncle or my friends) who have gotten a DUI.

I also don't believe all of what your (or my) friends said about their experience.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-We are alleviating our self-esteem. (not me at least)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to you, unless you made a 'you deserve what you get' post that I missed.

[ QUOTE ]

-Whether or not you drink 5 beers in a hour or 6 beers over 4, you are the same "amount of drunk" and are not safe to drive. The quoted BAC stat shows that you shouldn't be driving for a significant period after ingesting 5 beers, not that .08 is too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is you were using '5 beers in an hour' to demonstrate intuitively that .08 is not an unreasonable threshold for DUI. However, most people don't down 5 beers in an hour -- they drink over a period of time and so your example shows nothing. I can drink 6 Miller or Buds (4.5% ABV) in an hour without any impairment at all, even though for the next 4 hours I'm at risk of a DUI. BTW, I normally drink beer that is closer to 10 or 11% ABV, which means I can drink less than 1 beer/hour and still be over limit.

Most people -- including those in this thread calling for OP to be hung from the rafters -- DO have experience drinking 6 beers over four hours and reasonably assume there is no way they are legally drunk when they do this.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM

I dunno about the rest of you, but this thread is making me thirsty. I'm gonna pound a fifth of jack and then do donuts in the elementary school parking lot until I hear "thump", anyone with me?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the laws may be too harsh, but people who drive legally drunk usually know it, they have just chosen to ignore it. or, they have forgotten what they once knew.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I agree with all of this of course. It's the bolded part I have a problem with. A DUI is srs bsns, I luckily don't know ALL the specs but it can cost you a ton of money, time, and from what I've heard sometimes your job. I think this is a punishment that should be meted out appropriately, not excessively.

As to zorbie's suggestion that perhaps it's attractive to argue against DUI laws: that's the very first I've heard of this. It's VERY hard to argue that it's gone too far because you have to spend time disassociating yourself from the real, often repeat offenders who nobody wants anywhere near a steering wheel, and to avoid coming off like someone who endorses dangerous behavior. In other words a little more difficult than the "your and idiot" crowd.