Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Some comments about the WCOOP structures

Turbo, less levels, obv.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM

I think the tournaments should be 2 days.

One thing i have yet to see here is that if you go deep in a tournament, say final two tables or something like, and play 17 hours then busto getting 5-10k, you've now COMPLETELY thrown off your sleep schedule in relation to the rest of the tournaments and will be at a major disadvantage trying to force adjustment for the next few days.

I'm sure this detail won't register complaint from people who hit 50k scores, but for guys who did it for 5k, which is nice and all, but now have all their [censored] [censored] up and are no doubt completely mentally drained and are going to need some rest, they are totally screwed.

Just make them 2 day, i'm pretty sure most peoples work will understand when they need 1 day off, or not like the potential for 200k isn't worth calling in sick when ur not.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM

my dad told me it was on the news that some guy in China played poker for 3 straight days & dropped dead of a heart attack. Even a 20 hr.- 24 hr. tourney is completely unhealthy and dangerous. As someone else said, no one who plays that long does it without some type of "enhancement". Gobbo and I joked about the amount of RedBull he had, but it's really not funny when this or worse becomes a necessity.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM

I don't get the work problem. I mean, these tournaments aren't really suited for people with day jobs and normal sleep schedule to begin with. If you work 8 hours a day at your desk, take an hour out for traffic and play for 15 hours, you're pretty much done with this 24 hours a day thingy.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 AM

My comments:

First, I ask Bryan to recall how I said the PLO tourneys would go much faster than the NLHE tourney's with the same structure. Please notice that the PLO tourneys do not have a time problem. If you should decide that the NLHE events need to be sped up, please don't do the same with the PLO events.

Second, I think 2-day events are the way to go for the larger fields. My suggested rule of thumb: for very 2000 players entered, play down to one table on the first day. So for the 4600+ event #1 you would play down to 2 tables on the first day and for the 6000+ event #5 it would have been 3 tables. Alternatively, you could just say that any event with more than 2000 players will become a two day event with the final table being reserved for the second day.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 AM

I like the structures and the length it takes to complete these....as witnessed by how many sick tny players went deep in the 530 this is def favoring the best players. As far as the 15 and 30 minute breaks, i guess they are ok but could be done without. The 2500 should def be 2 days tho..if not this year then next year for sure. Good job tho PS!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:48 AM

I know that I am not really that +EV in WCCOP, but I was planning on playing the 320 6-max NL event, as I am primarily a 2/4 6-max cash game player and I really liked the structure. I watched the 530$ tourney, followed it late into the night watching Nath, Gobbo etc. When the 30 minute break hit, I just couldn't take it any more and hit bed. I wake up at 10AM next day and the final table is just set. I was horrified to see that one would have to play 15+ hours straight to make the FT. I saved 320W$ for this, but now I sold them as it's not worth it as I have to go to school on both Tuesday and Thursday. If it is for 10 hours or so, that's ok, but 20 hours is ridiculous. I am sure many players like me will not play because of the time.

Stars would be wise to make it a two day event as that will let more people (like me) play and the very few who make it after first day can easily skip a day of work, if required. I also don't get the integrity issues with one day event. One can as easily sell a seat/ask some one to play etc. in a single day event. Obviously, putting some restrictions like same IP address for both days would be good.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, putting some restrictions like same IP address for both days would be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will not work, there many ways to remotely use someones computer for free, in a day event you give people plenty of time to set this up.

I think it is fine to have 2 day events but everyone needs to be aware that it WILL increase the account sharing problems, if you are willing to put up with it then play, but no one can deny that it would be a tremendous advantage for those who want to sell their spot in the tournament to give them an extra 12 hours to find the best deal and set up the remote software.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Can I just ask a question to all of those who are discussing their obligations towards work and school while discussing this matter - if you were playing the WSOP ME or a side event; would you not take a couple of days off work? Should we make the ME 20 min levels so that people aren't too inconvenienced?

As such, considering that the WCOOP is a once a year event that is arguably (I say arguably because I'm sure there are FTOPS diehards out there) the most prestigous set of online tournaments available - should you not clear some space in your schedule to play? Like you would a big live MTT like the WSOP; or the WPT; or the EPT; or any well structured 1k+ buy - in?

I am finding these arguments vaguely ridiculous. I took holiday days for the Monday after the $530 and the ME. After seeing the posted structures I licked my lips and realised that if I went deep in these tournaments the next day would be a total write off. And if you go deep to the tune of 15hrs+ the money should be good enough to justify the next day off from your primary occupation.

Why should we be entertaining a reduction in the structures to satisfy everyone who is worried that they may be unable to function the next day? The reality is that it is a high variance tournament - and most of the time you play these things you will be done in six hours or less. No muss, no fuss. And the people getting to the end aren't the ones complaining thus far (even if Yuv finds this irrelevant).

So far the tournaments have furnished a much lower percentage of absolute luckboxes in the final 30 than is normal every Sunday in the regular majors. This should be warmly welcomed.

2 days > What we have in this series >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>> Reduction to 20 min levels or whatever.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 PM

This is silliness. Just a while ago everyone was whining for better structure. Now we have better structure and everyone is complaining that the tourneys are taking too long. Well that's what happens with a better structure! Suck it up. Hasn't everyone pulled an all-nighter at least once in their lives? And then you weren't playing a game for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For those saying that the length conflicts with work and school, isn't missing one day of work/class worth it when you are guaranteed 5 figures (maybe lil less I dunno) and have the chance to win 6 figures? I doubt any one would get fired for missing one day of work or get in serious trouble for missing a few classes, and how many people actually lose 5-10k in earnings or whatever by missing one day of work?

It's great that Stars listened to us and provided us with a great new structure. Can't we just get off their backs for a little and enjoy the WCOOP as it is now? Maybe for next WCOOP Stars can try to work in 2 day events.