Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Why I Am A Semi-Sociopath

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me why I should care about what happens to those people when a misfortune befalls them that is indirectly related to their misplace priorities..... But if I had the choice of helping them or a struggling student in Bangledesh, I'll choose the latter, even if the former had a grandfather who fought for us in WWII.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the former was a Veteran of the Iraq war? And even in your (silly) case one can argue that helping the American citizen when a misfortune befalls them is far better than helping someone in Bangladesh that you have no connection with, other than both of you being humans. WE are Americans. We accept the American way of life. We stand together. etc, etc, etc, if you would prefer helping foreigners to Americans perhaps you should move to Bangladesh.

pokervintage
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WE are Americans. We accept the American way of life. We stand together. etc, etc, etc, if you would prefer helping foreigners to Americans perhaps you should move to Bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]
How would that help them?

BTW what a silly post, stand togther, American, blah blah blah

chez
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Yey, for nationalism. We're the best, eff the rest. Damn Indians and their call centers.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yey, for nationalism. We're the best, eff the rest. Damn Indians and their call centers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neigh, must buy always buy british, you know stick together and all that. Anyone who buys Microsoft might as well move to the USA.

chez
Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE are Americans. We accept the American way of life. We stand together. etc, etc, etc, if you would prefer helping foreigners to Americans perhaps you should move to Bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky is a mllionaire. Spending his money in Bangladesh would probably tripple their economy.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think being an American and standing together is silly. Well I think you are silly...blah, blah blah, blah

pokerintage.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Sklansky is a mllionaire. Spending his money in Bangladesh would probably tripple their economy.

[/ QUOTE ]
sure, but why should he move there he could help them far more without moving there (unless they need a gambling consultant in loco)

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

You think being an American and standing together is silly. Well I think you are silly...blah, blah blah, blah

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes that's the level, silly isn't it?

chez
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eff the rest

[/ QUOTE ]

Being proud to be an American and standing together in no way implies f...ing everybody else. Saying that one leads to the other is ignorant ranting.

pokervintage
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM

David,

It's not semi-sociopathy. It's logical apathy.

Something naturally emergent in people smarter than the norm.

pokervintage,

Americans as a collective group are brash bullies, but individual Americans are pretty good folk once you get to know them. That's just a societal paradox.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM

It depends on the reasons you watch the News. If you are watching to gain information for some future action on your part, it matters. For example, if the news in going to effect your decision on buying/ selling stocks or if by viewing a news report you decided to send some money to that struggling kid, then you are different that those who watch OJ.

If you are watching merely to be informed on current events and/or in order to pontificate your opinion on such, then you are basically the same. Here it is like some of my buddies who insist on watching a game because they have money on the line; as if their watching will affect the outcome. (Then again I could be wrong here; perhaps the double slit experiment applies to sports book.)
Old 11-10-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerintage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly makes an American life worth more than the life of someone from Bangladesh? Humans are humans, and human life is valuable wherever you go. That's one of the reasons I'm against wars, as one of the prerequisites for engaging in war is the belief that the lives of your own people are more valuable than the lives of the people you intend to kill during war.