Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: POOL

[ QUOTE ]
H,
"Standard 8 ball rules give you ball in hand anywhere on a foul."
Agreed, however that's not how I've ever seen it done in bar play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.. however, it also depends on the calibur of the players.. I played often in a local bar where the regulars regularly played by the tourney rules.. ball in hand anywhere.

Which just brings up the point to ask what the rules are that a person wants to play with at the start.

Like sinking the 8 on the break (w/out scatching)... in a bar, that's game, since u can't spot it. I remember once having the table for a while.. I sunk the 8 on the break and the dude hung his head and said he'd been waiting 2hours to get on the table [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] oops. I talked others to let him play again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DOM,

I was unclear. I was continuing my previous posts answering wrt standard bar/friendly rules in that post. See above for actual rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't saying you're wrong at all .. you did an excellent job. I'm just happy to be adding in any way.. guess I miss playing [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 PM

There are so many house rules for 8-ball it is nearly impossible to find someone to play with who knows the "real" rules. I usually just clarify the few simple ones before the game and go from there.

On another note, if any of you guys are serious about pool, check out one pocket - it's a great strategy game, requiring a lot of finesse and defense, and it's the easiest billiards game to handicap for different skill levels. I've been trying to get into it lately, but it's really hard to find anyone to play with.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:25 PM

SPR,

I think bar rules are pretty much just whatever the regulars say. If you get screwed someplace and later see them using different rules, then you have to knife someone to maintain your cred.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many house rules for 8-ball it is nearly impossible to find someone to play with who knows the "real" rules. I usually just clarify the few simple ones before the game and go from there.

On another note, if any of you guys are serious about pool, check out one pocket - it's a great strategy game, requiring a lot of finesse and defense, and it's the easiest billiards game to handicap for different skill levels. I've been trying to get into it lately, but it's really hard to find anyone to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have been getting more interested in one pocket. I may try to learn about it. I probably need to learn to play a bit better first, because I think it is easy to underestimate the offensive skill you really need to play the game. It is the most strategic of the cue games I think.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 PM

Agree with Daryn, all these retards telling me I lost cuase I didnt hit the black. Not a rule, [censored].

So to clarify:

Scratch on break: foul, continue playing
Scratch on normal ball: foul, ball behind the line at most bars, but really it SHOULD be ball in hand anywhere
Miss the 8-ball: foul, game continues
Hit a ball but no rail contact: foul, like scratch on normal ball.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM

I agree with Daryn just about 100%. Most of the time when I'm playing with people I'll just go along with the silly ass rules that everyone plays by, because its not worth getting into. But, every once in a blue moon, if I'm playing someone who is both competitive and intelligent enough to have a conversation with I'll ask to clarify some rules before starting and ALWAYS ask for:

-Cue ball or object ball must hit a rail after contact is made. "3 cushions" is still a scratch if you don't hit a ball.

-Scratches are all BALL IN HAND. The whole "behind the line" thing is so illogical, especially towards the end of a game, that most reasonable people will agree to this one after a few moments of quiet consideration, even though NO ONE plays this way.

- You CAN scratch on the 8 ball, the game is not over. UNLESS, you sink the 8 on the same shot as the scratch. This one also completely dumbfounds people since despite making all the sense in the world, is virtually NEVER played by anyone.

As for everything else, such as called shots and whether or not you can combo off opponents balls, I'm totally flexible. The above 3 rules are the ones that REALLY bother me when I'm playing with people and we all care about winning because the game is so often decided by misinterpertation of those rules and unfortunately the WORST forms of those rules seem to the be the ones that 99% of people want to go by and are used to using.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this came up last night. we went to a billiard place for a friend's birthday. i was reminded of how i hate playing pool with basically everyone, because nobody but me seems to know the rules.

things that i hate:

i'll have nothing but the 8 ball left and they of course will have 5 or so balls scattered around. the cue will be stuck behind a few balls making it very improbable that i get a legal shot off. it's my shot. of course they are quick to say IF U SCRATCH U LOSE DOOD!! of course they don't realize that you only lose if you scratch on the 8 shot and the 8 is potted.

another one is ball in hand rule, where they scratch and then they make you put it "behind the line". the worst is when you're on the 8 and the 8 is on the same side of the table, so they force you to make some kind of circus shot where you have to bank it off the far cushion and back. of course, go back to my first gripe, they say if you scratch YOU LOSE LOLOLOOL!!!

another one i came across last night. guy went up to take his shot.. just barely tapped the cue into a neighboring ball. the ball barely moves. then he says "your shot"... as if it's not a scratch. you must drive a ball or the cue to a cushion, or pocket a ball... otherwise you could just go back and forth trading little taps.

this really bugs me more than it shoud.. and most of the time i just "play dumb" and play by the "house rules" or whatever.

also last night some guy scratched on the break, and he was like, "that's the game, we lost" .. WTF? NO you do not lose if you scratch on the break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost enough of a geek to say "+100" to this...

I really really hate when people try to tell me what the rules are, and how I've done something illegal or not. The "if you (table) scratch you LOSE!!!" one is incredibly annoying....i mean, it almost makes me want to just let them get close to the 8 and then start locking them up behind balls...

and jesus christ if someone plays a "safety" but tapping the cue .020234938473 inches close to another ball and saying "your shot!" i might just snap...

the scratch on a break thing is dumb as well...

in general, i do the same thing Daryn, and let whoever seems to care the most have their way more often than not....only time this becomes an issue is when money's involved, and at that point i almost always make people verbally agree on "APA/BCA/whatever" rules beforehand....

durrrr and others,

if people try that stupid ass "scratch on purpose when you have a ball in the kitchen" [censored]...just get really good at putting the ball on the head string line, hitting just in front of it with a lot of inside english, and then having the cue come back off one or more banks to hit your ball...

nothings more fun than getting someone's stupid ploy f'ed up when you do this...that or learn how to masse it straight back...but thats a little harder....
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothings more fun than getting someone's stupid ploy f'ed up when you do this...that or learn how to masse it straight back...but thats a little harder....

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the ball's on a side rail, I've always liked bumping the cue off one of the side pocket tips [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Brock, asofel, daryn:

Doesn't really apply to random bar dudes, but with annoying friends in these situations, utilize your knowledge of official BCA rules for prop betting purposes.