Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Strangers who want to discuss your lack of \"faith\"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I dont think it's right to proselytise, however I know several christians who believe that the religion requires it (with numerous biblical quotations). I sympathise with people who feel it is their moral duty - I think they're mistaken, but given they believe it's their duty to spread the word as widely as possible, what else can they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get themselves barred from flight school?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it will worry/frustrate/terrify those of us who disagree, but (assuming they really do believe that mystical revelation is the source of their morality) what choice do you think they have?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I dont think it's right to proselytise, however I know several christians who believe that the religion requires it (with numerous biblical quotations). I sympathise with people who feel it is their moral duty - I think they're mistaken, but given they believe it's their duty to spread the word as widely as possible, what else can they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get themselves barred from flight school?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it will worry/frustrate/terrify those of us who disagree, but (assuming they really do believe that mystical revelation is the source of their morality) what choice do you think they have?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have options similar to various forms of addiction, taking advantage of the occassional lucid moment.
When you wake up one morning and see others doing heinous acts and the reason they give is "a mystical revelation gives me my morality" there should be enough lucidness left ( they can still find the car keys) for them to say just once... "hhmmmmm....that's the same story I tell ...hmmmmm."

luckyme
Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have options similar to various forms of addiction, taking advantage of the occassional lucid moment.
When you wake up one morning and see others doing heinous acts and the reason they give is "a mystical revelation gives me my morality" there should be enough lucidness left ( they can still find the car keys) for them to say just once... "hhmmmmm....that's the same story I tell ...hmmmmm."

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course - though most will claim some distinguishing feature of their own religion as being the key to why it should be accepted. In my opinion, most will find that approach easier than criticising their own world view. Obviously, I'm not defending the position, but in my view saying "Well they really shouldnt do that" doesnt really help much in trying to understand why they do.

Irrespective of what you think they should base their moral decisions on, do you agree they should act according to their mystically derived moral beliefs, if they're not "having a lucid moment"? Or at least that they dont have any other choice? It would seem strange to me if you are encouraging people to act against what they think is moral.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Irrespective of what you think they should base their moral decisions on, do you agree they should act according to their mystically derived moral beliefs, if they're not "having a lucid moment"? Or at least that they dont have any other choice? It would seem strange to me if you are encouraging people to act against what they think is moral.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here I am in Idaho. Let’s take Larry Craig , the Idaho Senator caught trying to have sex with a male in a public toilet- should he act according to his mystically derived beliefs? No. Not in my opinion. He should be a human being and be and enjoy who he is.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Strangers who want to discuss \"faith\" with you...

[ QUOTE ]
If there was this giant magical building in your city, that was just a giant room full of the most insanely beautiful hot naked women, willing to please you in whatever way you wanted. They are all disease free, with PHDs in the art of [censored], with vice grip vaginas, no gag reflexes and they can only cum if they have something in their ass, and this place was open 24/7 and was completely free and open to all. If you knew about this place and met someone who also knew about this place but who didnt go, wouldnt you ask why? Wouldnt you also try to convince them of how awesome it was and try to explain to them what they were missing out on?

[/ QUOTE ]

This place exists.

I'm going to pass around a collection plate real quick and then I'll tell you all about it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there was this giant magical building in your city, that was just a giant room full of the most insanely beautiful hot naked women, willing to please you in whatever way you wanted. They are all disease free, with PHDs in the art of [censored], with vice grip vaginas, no gag reflexes and they can only cum if they have something in their ass, and this place was open 24/7 and was completely free and open to all. If you knew about this place and met someone who also knew about this place but who didnt go, wouldnt you ask why? Wouldnt you also try to convince them of how awesome it was and try to explain to them what they were missing out on?

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think it would interest me enough to spend any of my time on your raving and ranting about it? Spare me, dude!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the main reason I don't want to discuss my faith with them. Why should I be open to belief in their God when there is exactly a 0% chance they are open to any change in their belief? Especially when you logically explain why you believe what you do and they still want to 'convert' you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly
When people want to discuss religion, they almost never want to actually discuss religion. They want to preach and have you listen quietly.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am agnostic and in general I don't have any interest in religion whatsoever. I love your answer though. Perfectly explained as to why people do this.

Colima420
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the main reason I don't want to discuss my faith with them. Why should I be open to belief in their God when there is exactly a 0% chance they are open to any change in their belief? Especially when you logically explain why you believe what you do and they still want to 'convert' you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly
When people want to discuss religion, they almost never want to actually discuss religion. They want to preach and have you listen quietly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the result of them being told of the "truth" (sometimes they capitalize the word, which makes me giggle) as definitively as is possible. Also, the average atheist had to do some thinking to reach his/her beliefs, whereas the average Christian was raised as such.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would seem strange to me if you are encouraging people to act against what they think is moral.

[/ QUOTE ] So you are a moral relativist and a Christian? Isn't that funny.