Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Ticket scalping: is this illogical?

Chezlaw/Justin,

I think you need to compare your satellite situation with a guy who was just given $10k in cash, then asked if he would like to buy-in to the tournament. ZJs point is that most shouldn't and wouldn't, but if they win a satellite they would.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 AM

"...am I being irrational here?"

No.

For the sake of argument let's assume that after taking care of commitments you have exactly $250 left to do whatever with for the month. You are willing to spend $50 of that on a concert X ticket but not the entire $250. The final $200 is slated for a baseball game, two pizza nights, the monthly "Disco Dance" at the roller-rink, and getting in to see "Superbad". The concert is important but not important enough to forgo all of the other things you have planned.

If you secure concert X ticket at face-value, you would rather go to the concert than increase your remaining fundage to $450 because there is nothing the additional money will allow you to purchase that will compensate for not attending the concert. You only enjoy pizza twice a month, the next "Disco Night" isn't until October, you enjoy baseball in small doses and you've already seen "Superbad".

Enjoy the concert. (unless of course the addition of $200 to your bank account would allow you to make a purchase that would provide a better opportunity for fun than the concert)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:23 AM

Another way of looking at it is that it's irrational to pay $250 for a ticket that can be had for $50.

But in general I agree with your friend and ZJ. That one especially tends to baffle my mind.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chezlaw/Justin,

I think you need to compare your satellite situation with a guy who was just given $10k in cash, then asked if he would like to buy-in to the tournament. ZJs point is that most shouldn't and wouldn't, but if they win a satellite they would.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still the same, some people playing for fun will enjoy it far more if they won entry via a satellite, maybe because they feel they've earned it or deserve it, more likely because they believe its a good way to live life. For them its not irrational to only play if they win the satellite.

there may be othe people who will play if given the money but not if they win the satellite - same sort of thing.

Being given the money or not is besides the point - its not really about the money.

chez