Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Is this offensive, or are they just over compensation-reactions?

Here's the scenario;

I'm out with a group of friends and the subject of race/prejudice comes up. Someone begins by talking about how bad the racism is that still exists in this country.

I make a point about racism being something that's existed from the dawn of time, and that it will likely never go away, because it's human nature for a lot of people to have prejudices against a certain race or ethnicity, but race is often just the common denominator in their diatribes against a certain group of people, and that racism is making a predetermined judgement (prejudice) based on previous experiences with people of the same ethnicity- which, is also human nature, and not doing so is counter-intuitive, i.e., if I see a white man in a mercedes who's wearing a suit and tie, I can make some fairly accurate assesments about him, same goes for if I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoo sleeves up and down his arms. It doesn't mean I'm racist, it just means I have a selective memory of common characteristics among a group of people.

i.e.,

In the South, and in my experience, black people speak much differently than say, (x) person from (x). And it differs with age, e.g., I've met a lot of elderly black people who speak with a southern drawl, but also use poor grammar, as opposed to young black people who talk more along the lines of ebonics/ghetto.

Stay with me here, and please understand that these are just observations, and I hold no prejudice against a person because of race or background.

Let's assume the above to be true about language. Suppose one of my pet peeves (which isn't really) is when people dont use the english language correctly, and in my time and experience in the South I've noticed that a large portion of Black people don't speak English the way I like it to be spoken. Now, here's the point- It's nearly impossible for me to vocalize that point of view without someone throwing the scarlet letter of racism upon me. Granted, there are some people who would disagree with that, but for the most part that opinion will make others assume I've some racial prejudices, etc.

I don't like poor customer service representatives who work for big corporations. I dont care if they're white, black, whatever, I get really peeved at people who likely hate their job and don't give a [censored], etc.

Enter Microsoft, and many other big corporations (US Airways) who have outsourced their customer service to India, or the Phillipines, etc. There have been several times when I've had someone who spoke very poor English attempt to fix my problem, and it was very frustrating.

Keep the above in mind for one second, then consider this; when someone is disgusted, annoyed, or upset with another person, dating all the way back to sibling rivalries, one or both people often mock the dialogue of the other by exaggerating their own voice to imitate that of the other person. You weren't being racist when your sister made fun of you and you made fun of the way she made fun of you, but suppose I put my tongue on the roof of my mouth and immitated the way the Customer Service rep handled my situation in broken English- again, someone will inevitably think that I'm being racist, derogatory to a class of people, when in reality I'm expressing my frustrations in the same manner I would (actually I wouldn't, but you get the point) in any other situation with any other person.

I could elaborate on this further, but I can sum it up by saying:

Sometimes when you make an observation or complaint about a habit or tendency that is often specific to a race or group of people, you are automatically labeled prejudice or racist by a large part of society.

I could give some better examples where making an observation about a persons character is considered racist, when, in fact, you're making your judgement based on the only thing all people have in common despite race, ethnicity, or origin- the quality of their character.

Thoughts?

My general idea regarding these types of reactions (knee jerk type reactions to comments about a group of people) is that the person giving the reaction is over compensating because of definite racism and abuse that has, at one point, been directed to a group of people- which is sort of narrow minded, because throughout the course of history nearly every race and group of people has experienced tremendous predjudice and racism i.e., Christian, Jews, Blacks, Asians, etc.

-Tex

edited to add; I dont think I did a great job explaining this situation, but it's closely related to our society becoming so [censored] pc-sensitive.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Is this offensive, or are they just over compensation-reactions?

in before "ban for racism"
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM

I know what you're saying and partially agree. But you should just generally follow cultural norms with what is offensive and what is not offensive. Current culture deems what is offensive and what is not offensive to say. There's no reason to make random people upset at you and hurt their feelings.

If you make fun of your sister because of the way she talks it's still offensive, just not racist. There's no "correct" way to speak a language, just a correct way to speak it in certain contexts. There's nothing inherently wrong with people speaking ebonics.

My view is that people are going to be continually less and less racist with the widespread use of the internet. It's harder to be racist when you know more about the other race (which is accomplished on the internet).

The way we are now is pretty much ridiculous. Everyone has to claim they are racially blind when virtually nobody is. If you admit that you have racial bias (by being honest) you are looked down upon.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My view is that people are going to be continually less and less racist with the widespread use of the internet. It's harder to be racist when you know more about the other race (which is accomplished on the internet).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because I just see more and more people saying retarded and racist things and making jokes they would never make in public, because they aren't accountable for what they say on the internet.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM

I think it's petty funny you think that Indians have poor English, they actually usually have very good English just with an Indian accent, though if they outsourced MS support service to Scotland and you couldn't understand their accent you'd probably assume they had poor English.

I disagree with most of what you have to say and I wouldn't bother to reply to the rest of it.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Speaking of using the English language, you should know that most of the people in the North don't like how people from the South speak English and have a prejudice against them as being dumb.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Complaining that you cannot properly communicate with someone is not a big deal. Blame it on that person (who probably feels equally frustrated) and you're then trying to unnecessarily pin blame. Bringing race/nationality into your complaint (as in, "I couldn't understand that idiot Indian guy") is clearly racist. Noting that the communication is due to some kind of racial/ethnic barrier is absolutely not.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM

I hear black ppl have huge dicks
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear black ppl have huge dicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Def true, but too lazy to use them.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Complaining that you cannot properly communicate with someone is not a big deal. Blame it on that person (who probably feels equally frustrated) and you're then trying to unnecessarily pin blame. Bringing race/nationality into your complaint (as in, "I couldn't understand that idiot Indian guy") is clearly racist. Noting that the communication is due to some kind of racial/ethnic barrier is absolutely not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a language barrier, not an ethnic/racial barrier. However, calling someone an idiot because you can't understand them is definitely a clear species of dumb.