Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

Hey gang.

I went busto in April after 2.5 years of professional poker. I had no savings and significant debt. Since then I have fallen right out of the middle class, doing unskilled temp labor in East Texas. I've been flogging agencies since I got here but have managed to work a grand total of 20 hours this month, at about 6.65 per - lots of miscommunication between agency and hirers, interviews / jobs fall through, etc. etc. I have a car note, $2K in credit debt and student loans. Clearly this is unacceptable, and I can't help but feel I'm underutilizing my resources. I know next to nothing about finance, money management, and the world of work. So - how do I get less broke?

I don't really have an end goal. Part of me wants to scrape together about $5K, plus another five or so for savings & expenses, and head back to Southern California & the cardrooms. Another part of me isn't sure that it ever wants to play another hand.

ASSETS:

Young (24), able-bodied. BA, University of Texas, 2004 - History. No criminal record, owns transportation, genius, probably the world's greatest casual conversationalist.

DEBITS: A lifetime of avoidable mistakes and hard knocks have finally managed to push work ethic up to 'mediocre.' Thorny personal & psychological issues. Clueless. Sizeable debt - 10s of Ks in student loans, $2K in credit card debt, $15K car loan.

I'm headed to Atlanta next week to live with friends. I have no idea what I'll do when I get there. I just need money. Let the adviceflood begin.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Prs to be making me less broke? Financial Follies

I've never used a temp agency, but pick up a paper and look through the classifieds. If you are willing to do any type of work, you can definitely get hired. Gas stations and fast food are always hiring and you should atleast be able to make enough to pay your bills, while you look for something else.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Probably the least attractive option in the history of the universe, but you could pick up a job that pays for [censored] but covers all your overhead. Cruise ships, lodges, etc. Would be a [censored] few months, but at least you'd come out of it with some cash.

Edit: I missed the debt part. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] How do you feel about people trying to kill you in various deserts?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 PM

If you are such a great talker, the answer is OBV.

Simply take a week and hang out in a bar or restaurant where important people mingle. NETWORK my friend.

Then work your way up the ladder.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Alaska has a crab season coming up.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:11 PM

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/employment/
Old 05-19-2007, 03:28 PM

cardo,

Wait tables or bartend somewhere busy. The turnover in these places is ridiculous, you can surely find a job that will get you by for a bit while you look for something else. Or see if you can find someone that will let you sell for them (cars?).
Old 05-19-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Young (24), able-bodied. BA, University of Texas, 2004 - History. No criminal record, owns transportation, genius, probably the world's greatest casual conversationalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should tutor arts majors and write term papers for trust fund babies. Initially, you should at least charge $20 or $25/hr, and you can raise this after you build up a reputation.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:31 PM

some thoughts in no order:

atleast you are out there trying. shoe's suggestion is good. those type of stores are always hiring and prolly have a turn over rate as high as mcd's. a word of caution, if you arent homicidal/suicidal before working a conveniant store, you may be become such. fast food is always an option. prepare to have your clothes, car, etc forever smell like a french fry. what was your major?

not much advice regarding the student loans. try not to default. $2k credit card debt isnt that bad. can you get more on the card? use it as seed money? ask youself if using the card is better than minimum wage jobs? a 15K car loan sounds steep to me. im sure you dont want to drive a junker but something less expensive may be best the for now.

manage your bankroll better. i understand the love/hate of playing poker. then i look at the help wanted ads. hope it works out. will this be a trip report kind of post?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 PM

This might be a good time to state preferences, as if I had the right to hold them.

THINGS I HATE:

Sales, customer service. I just can't [censored] deal.

I'm not dealing with food, sorry.

I like industrial / construction work okay, but hooo boy am I bad at it.

I have no experience in anything else other than academia and cards.