Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you had me all the way up to here:

[ QUOTE ]
[And, to go even further, I'm not even comfortable with the idea of sharing a campus with someone that feels he should be able to carry a gun around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad there werent a few "gun toting conservative rednecks" in the building when virginia tech got shot up this summer..... perhaps they could have saved lives

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain the relative lack of similiar events in other countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, non sequitur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not possibly be less of a non sequitor, if we are talking about ways of providing an environment in which these things don't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poster A says he feels uncomfortable being near someone who wants to carry a gun.

Poster B says someone carrying a gun could have potentially stopped the VT shooting - that such a shooting is ALREADY IN PROGRESS is part of the assumption of the statement.

Then you jump in. Now, GIVEN that such an event is ALREADY IN PROGRESS, do you agree or disagree that an armed student could have potentially stopped it?

And in the context of "providing an environment in which these things don't happen," making a campus a "gun free zone" clearly does NOT prevent these things, since VT *IS* a gun free zone.

But since you brought it up, how results-oriented do you think your "lack of similar events in other countries" question is? Do you have any stats?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

In regards to the point that you were responding to, how many of these events, many of which occured outside the US, had armed citizens in the area who were *unable* to put a stop to the events?

On the other hand, we *can* see how easily an armed citizen can put a stop to such mass attacks:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._in_tennessee/

[ QUOTE ]
Ingram, chasing one victim into the store's parking lot, was subdued by Chris Cope, manager of a financial services office in the same small shopping center, Memphis Police Sgt. Vince Higgins said.

Cope said he grabbed a 9mm semiautomatic pistol from his pickup truck when he saw the attacker chasing the victim "like something in a serial killer movie."

"When he turned around and saw my pistol, he threw the knife away, put his hands up and got on the ground," Cope told The Associated Press. "He saw my gun and that was pretty much it."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 AM

Jesus what an idiotic quote I just read from that article you linked pvn(a spokesman said): [ QUOTE ]
"We commend him," Higgins said. "But we don't encourage people to take that kind of risk. He could have been hurt."

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the 8 people who had been hurt? 95% of police work is retroactive. I've had enough of this "just let the police do their jobs" sentiment in instances like this. [censored] them telling me I "may get hurt". A couple other people could have been injured or killed if this citizen didn't do what he did. What a ridiculous thing to say after the fact
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 AM

I saw this in today's paper: A gentleman saw a lady get slapped by a drug dealer on the street. He got out of his car to assist her. The dealer pulled out a gun and killed him. There are risks to taking the law into your own hands and escalating the situation.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this in today's paper: A gentleman saw a lady get slapped by a drug dealer on the street. He got out of his car to assist her. The dealer pulled out a gun and killed him. There are risks to taking the law into your own hands and escalating the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, but the "stay in your homes folks, everything is under control here!" mentality regarding the police is ridiculously overblown. That being said, I dont think that the "escalating the situation" remarks belong here. Clearly the instance I was speaking about had become escalated enough what with a nutjob stabbing people and trying to kill them. I just felt that the police saying that was extremely out of place and misguided following that specific situation.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 AM

There was nothing that said that his emails were the only reason the school wanted a mental health evaluation. Just reading the emails leads me to believe this kid is mentally unbalanced and possibly dangerous. OP's thread title is a sham.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 AM

You talk about off to the gulag and state that the health evaluation is because the guy is a gun-rights supporter and criticize others for non-sequiturs?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL
Old 10-12-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Everytime I read one of your posts I end up on full blown life tilt, no joke.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you had me all the way up to here:

[ QUOTE ]
[And, to go even further, I'm not even comfortable with the idea of sharing a campus with someone that feels he should be able to carry a gun around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad there werent a few "gun toting conservative rednecks" in the building when virginia tech got shot up this summer..... perhaps they could have saved lives

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd feel much safer walking around Philadelphia if I had a gun. And I don't blame any student (college or otherwise) for wanting to have a gun at his side after what's been going on the past years in this country.

People are less likely to commit violent crimes if they know that 95% of the people around them are armed.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everytime I read one of your posts I end up on full blown life tilt, no joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya Taso, given most of your posts I am really glad that we have differing opinions.

For your information, when I read your posts, or most of them, I only feel like smiling at your naivety. It doesn't put me on tilt at all, seriously! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]