Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Amazon Prime - is it worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have it and love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because the words "delayed satisfaction" mean nothing to me. if i want it, i want it now.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:15 PM

[*][ QUOTE ]

It's not just that it's great to get stuff in a day or two, but that Amazon's normal service has sharply deteriorated, as far as delivery time goes

[/ QUOTE ]
[*]Oh is that true? That makes me feel better about having Prime (forgot to cancel my trial membership).
[*]As far as a review goes, it's been a great service for me everything comes within 1-2 days.
[*]But aren't most things free shipping on Amazon? I really don't mind waiting, typically don't need the order right away. My renewal is coming up and I'm on the fence (I order a decent amount on Amazon, haha largely cause I have Prime...).

-Al
Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM

Do they not accept payments directly from your bank account for this? I tried to sign up for a trial and it was rejected then tried a credit card and it went through OK. It seems like I can only pay via CC and get free ship. also, which sucks.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shipping for free on Prime vs. 3.99 for a book, or even more, when buying used.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be saving ~$10 per book bought, though. Toss in games and other electronical stuff and you can save even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can save a bunch buying used. Unless you HAVE to have a DVD the week it's released, you can save $10+ on box sets by getting them used. E.g., I just bought a NCIS season 3 for $17. It's selling new for $42.

Video games are also a good bargain. Gears of War is still $56 brand new. You can get it on Amazon Marketplace for $27.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have it and love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have to order a a few times a year to make it worth it, imo.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Have it and totally love it. I have to admit that I am an Amazon junkie though -- I order the normal things -- books, DVDs, etc. -- but have also purchased toiletries and other items that most people don't order over the internet. The convenience of the Prime free 2-day shipping helps out a ton here... If I need something, but know that I am not going to be able to get to the store in the next couple of days, I will just order it -- knowing that it will show up two days from now.

$79 a year is totally worth it. Also, it's great when you just want to order one item that is $10 or under since it is free for all orders, not just those above $25, as others have pointed out.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not just that it's great to get stuff in a day or two, but that Amazon's normal service has sharply deteriorated, as far as delivery time goes. Anyway it sure has for me. They take so long to ship things that it goes out of stock after I order it, etc. Or the two weeks free shipping has sometimes stretched out to as long as a month. The 2-day service fixes that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same experience. Their free shipping used to be awesome--I'd often receive items within 3 days of order, whereas it takes 1-2 weeks now.

I have Amazon Prime, but I am a nit and end up buying 1/2 my books used--so often they're <50% the cost of new books(including the $3.99 shipping).