Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Video game system/DVD player question

I recently got a new LCD HD television and am thinking of getting a new video game system for it. From what I've read PS3 is the most powerful, X-box has some very good games and a lot of fans, and Wii is the most fun/unique to play, especially for non-hardcore gamers.

I did see an article today that Sony has cut the prices on the PS3. So I'm wondering if the fact that the PS3 is also a Blu-Ray DVD player makes this a no-brainer? Are there enough good games for the PS3 that would make it worthwhile to buy? My theory was that the PS3 would serve 2 functions -games and Blu-Ray movies - but most reports say the Wii is much more fun to play so maybe I should just buy that and a separate Blu-Ray player?

Also, anyone have any knowledge/opinions about Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD? I don't know much about this stuff but I don't want to buy an obsolete format. Should I just wait until the smoke clears on the format war before buying any type of HD DVD player?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Video game system/DVD player question

Blu-ray seems to be winning, but I am still not sold on either HD format. I have a 42" plasma and find standard DVD's to look great from an upconverting player. A friend has the 360 HD player and I don't notice any major differences in quality and I am kinda an audio/video nit. I think neither HD format will win and most content will end up being downloadable eventually.

PS3 doesn't have any great games from what I hear, and I will probably buy a 360 but not until Halo 3 comes out. As for the Wii, I bought one and though the play was not that fun, so I sold it a couple of weeks later. Kinda repetitive and just not that cool. I feel like the novelty factor wears off quickly and I would much rather play a good FPS or sports game with good graphics.

If you are interested really interested in it, you could buy a Wii to try it out and probably sell it for almost full value a couple weeks later on Ebay as they are still in short supply.

I would just get a good $50-$75 upconverting DVD player and buy a Xbox 360 myself. I would give it at least a week or two as price drops could be a horizon with E3 next week and PS3 just announcing theirs.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM

btw, Wii currently does not play movie DVDs. was pretty surprised at this. supposedly it's coming out as an add-on. stupid marketing tactics.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, Wii currently does not play movie DVDs. was pretty surprised at this. supposedly it's coming out as an add-on. stupid marketing tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't marketing tactics, cheap Nintendo figures everyone has a DVD player and it would have cost them a small amount to pay for the ability to play DVD's. So, while they cleanup with the console, it is not very powerful, just innovative.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Just as an FYI Blockbuster announced a little while ago that they will no longer be buying HD-DVD format due to the fact that 70% of their sales are Blue-Ray. I have the PS3 and think that not only do the Blue-Ray discs look incredible, DVD's look much better than on my regular DVD player.

As for games, there are only going to be a few games on each system that will be exclusive, so it really depends on whether you want to play Halo 3 or MGS/Final Fantasy.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just as an FYI Blockbuster announced a little while ago that they will no longer be buying HD-DVD format due to the fact that 70% of their sales are Blue-Ray. I have the PS3 and think that not only do the Blue-Ray discs look incredible, DVD's look much better than on my regular DVD player.

As for games, there are only going to be a few games on each system that will be exclusive, so it really depends on whether you want to play Halo 3 or MGS/Final Fantasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, Ive been holding off buying hd or blu-ray, because one of these formats is going the way of beta, and I didnt want to waste the money. looks like blockbuser made the decision for us.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM

I got a HD-DVD as a surprise gift for Father's Day. It's very nice and looks awesome, but I'm afraid I may have the Betamax for the new millenium on my hands. I'm wondering if I should try to exchange it and cough up the extra $100 for a PS3.