Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Need an International Law Paper Topic

I have a 15-20 paper assigned that will be my final for my International Law class. Any suggestions for interesting topics? I have to turn the topic in with a few areas of focus in a couple days. I'm probably more interested in the economic implications of international law, but any other interesting suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Need an International Law Paper Topic

you could write about how the us prosecuting poker site owners violates free trade agreements. Mainly, how this will void trade agreements with countries that prevent countries from pirating US intellectual property without the US being able to do anything.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM

I am actually somewhat interested in this, but I see it as a long shot for a topic. Do you happen to know if the WTO or any other international bodies have made statements concerning the US and the UIGEA?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 PM

The Regulation of Widgets under the CISG. But seriously, do you know about this situation where China is keeping the value of its currency too low, so that other countries will keep buying its exports? That's all I can come up with.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Not economic but... The Arab Israeli conflict. Analyze the UN resolutions and such that have been passed, and how they dont matter and are stupid. Sources to use: The Arab Israeli Reader (basically gives an awesome history of the conflict, reasonably easy to read). There's a TON of material there. Most Israeli arguments are based around pretty basic international law concepts (like do the palestinians have a state, who ruled palestine before 1947, who has sovereignty, what does sovereignty mean, what does it mean to "occupy" a territory, what if there was no state controlling a territory, what if a state gives up a territory etc etc).

I'm really not trying to cause a hatefest here or whatever, but I took a class specifically on this topic that brought up a lot of issues not discussed in the regular media.

Note: try to judge your prof's dumbness about these things level.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 AM

1. International enforcement of criminal liability...what is the way forward now that the ICC is all but dead?

2. What constitutes expropriation under international law?

3. Use of force doctrine...well trodden but interesting

4. Minimum standard of treatment of aliens

If you're really stuck on topics, look over the various compromis from the last 3-4 Jessup competitions (they should be available at www.ilsa.org). Good luck.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you happen to know if the WTO or any other international bodies have made statements concerning the US and the UIGEA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote a paper about the UIGEA last semester for my International Financial Crimes seminar. I believe in my research, I found that the WTO has ruled that the USA is violatiang international trade laws (or something like that) by making other countries that regulate online gambling comply with our laws. I remember Antigua filing a complaint with the WTO twice on this issue and both times the WTO found for Antigua, but the U.S. has done nothing about it. There are a couple of articles about this on Cardplayer.