Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Default 3bet pot OOP unimproved

Sorry for no hand conversion.

Villain is running 33/14/WTSD 28 over 300 hands. He 3-bets semilight (88 and such), but plays slow after the flop when he doesn't improve. We haven't had any big hands together yet, but this read seems pretty trustworthy.

The preflop call might be so-so, but I figured his lack of will to put in money postflop with light holdings gives me big enough edge to call this OOP.

IPoker network Texas Hold'em NL $2.00/$4.00
Seat 1: Villain ($1,061.02 in chips) DEALER
Seat 5: SB ($310.10 in chips)
Seat 6: BB ($76.00 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero ($388.00 in chips)

SB: Post $2.00
BB: Post $4.00

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ah Qd]
Hero: Raise $14.00
Villain: Raise $48.00
SB: Fold
BB: Fold
Hero: Call $34.00
*** FLOP *** [Kd 6s 7d]
Hero: Check
Villain: Check
*** TURN *** [6h]
Hero: Bet $75.00
Villain: Call $75.00
*** RIVER *** [9c]
Hero: Allin $265.00

Like?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: 3bet pot OOP unimproved

i like what you're getting at. it's right because this guy is easy to read you'll be able to pick up the pot more often, but this one isn't so clear because this guys huge went to showdown figure is going to make up for that mistake of his. it's not good thinking you'll be able to pick up pots when he plays his hand slow if he plays it slow with intentions of calling the next two streets. give him a lower wtsd and i'm all game.

in this case i would give this play a miss preflop, the reasons above and that his preflop range is somewhat tight here, so it's not that often he sees a flop he doesn't like and you don't get to pick up.

as the hand went down i would be shooting at the turn and river but i wouldn't be overbetting the river, there's no real need to against his hand and you really don't want to give a 33/14/28 player any reasons to get curious.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like what you're getting at. it's right because this guy is easy to read you'll be able to pick up the pot more often, but this one isn't so clear because this guys huge went to showdown figure is going to make up for that mistake of his. it's not good thinking you'll be able to pick up pots when he plays his hand slow if he plays it slow with intentions of calling the next two streets. give him a lower wtsd and i'm all game.

in this case i would give this play a miss preflop, the reasons above and that his preflop range is somewhat tight here, so it's not that often he sees a flop he doesn't like and you don't get to pick up.

as the hand went down i would be shooting at the turn and river but i wouldn't be overbetting the river, there's no real need to against his hand and you really don't want to give a 33/14/28 player any reasons to get curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give way too much credit to his WTSD% imho, 300 hands is absolutely meaningless except if his WTSD was like 75.

To OP, i think it's fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:32 AM

yea, i was unsure about that. but the 33% VP$IP figure still puts him closer to the type of player who checks behind w/ intentions of making showdown. however i v. doubt he makes showdown w/ underpairs here. as said, once in the hand i like the play.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM

you say don't make a river overbet...

his bet is about pot. if he bets like 3/4 of his stack it looks pretty dumb right?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM

i thought pot was around 220. but it's ~$250, it's fine.