Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 AM

Default I hate getting donked into $4.40

This villain is on the loose side, rarely raises but likes to limp. He donked into me on a previous hand where i raised pf, flopped an openender and called his donk bet on the flop, then a samesize bet on the turn and folded the river. Im lost here as what to do tho?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t37599)
Button (t81324)
SB (t51912)
BB (t22337)
UTG (t54055)
Hero (t22773)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t3600.

Flop: (t10225) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t2400</font>, Hero?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: I hate getting donked into $4.40

Well, calling seems real bad, let's eliminate that first. Too many overcards/diamonds/chance of getting bluffed.

Folding is good if you think he's got you beat a good chunk of the time, AND that he'll call a raise.

I really want to say shove. You're risking ~18k to win ~11k (edit: forgot about the antes, this is even better when the pot is closer to 13), which is okay if he folds a lot or if he calls with hands that don't crush you like A4, 66, or flush draws.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Any more help on this one guys? Calling seems bad because I'm fairly sure hes likely to just keep betting small on the turn. I'm thinking a shove is good here as he doesn't have to have a King to bet here I dont think and he might even fold out some of his weaker kings if he called with one.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any more help on this one guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bets like this from weak/bad players are usually met with a jam or a raise from me. Range is typically weak K, flush draws, 2nd pair or 88 type hands trying to "see where they are at". Or, its their way of bluffing or semi-bluffing thinking you dont have a K. So when you jam, they see themselves as beat and fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Calling seems bad because I'm fairly sure hes likely to just keep betting small on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking a shove is good here as he doesn't have to have a King to bet here I dont think and he might even fold out some of his weaker kings if he called with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key. If you believe that to be the case then push is best. Depending on read though, I may fold.

Jarid
Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM

I think this is an easy shove.

The UTG limp means nothing and you got second pair on a draw-heavy board.

As he didn't reraise/push preflop I would think a high PP is unlikely here. So I think you can be up against another PP, but with the K on the board you might get 88-TT to fold to your push.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM

This is one of those times where I suck it up and act on my read and the action in front of me. If you think if might be doing this with a draw, a weak king that you could fold out, or a PP that folds to a shove then I shove all day here.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm 30%/70% fold/push and the scale gets tipped by his previous post flop action.

I assume this is not the flopped boat villain.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE