Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Weekly NFL thread?

Could we just have a weekly NFL thread instead of every game getting its own thread. Most of which are low to no content.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Weekly NFL thread?

[ QUOTE ]
Could we just have a weekly NFL thread instead of every game getting its own thread. Most of which are low to no content.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM

It always seems like a good idea, but if you consolidate all the NFL discussion into one thread, I think it gets pretty messy. This gets proposed regularly, but unless Performify mandates it, it just isn't going to ever work.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It always seems like a good idea, but if you consolidate all the NFL discussion into one thread, I think it gets pretty messy. This gets proposed regularly, but unless Performify mandates it, it just isn't going to ever work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I was just waiting for the right time to go on my semi-annual tirade about this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

WTF already. How many more goofballs have to deficate all over this forum before something changes? Make one thread where all the boneheads can put their plays.

Crock, and MT2R both have private blogs where their picks go. Anyone else who actually thinks people give a crap about their picks put up a blog. We have touts running rampant, we have morons who are just looking for recognition/attention. The size of these threads will be nowhere near as large as people think. Making a separate thread for bigger games is fine as they will generate lots of discussion. Things setup individually still remains dumb as evidenced by the posts on the front 3 pages.

I bet if everything goes in a weekly thread, we lose the semi-spam and junk posts.

Look at the Fantasy Football thread in Sporting Events. Everyone only posts about their own team and the amount of questions compared to those answered is like 10-1. Nobody gives a [censored] about anyone else.

One day the tide will turn and people will agree with me. I'll post another rant come start of MLB. Ta ta.

This was like Rant #3 below, don't care enough to find the others.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10117140
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 PM

I hereby propose that we create a weekly thread for requests to create weekly threads. It would help remove some of the clutter that is related to forum administration rather than the forum content itself.

In all seriousness, B00T, you make a strong case for thread consolidation. But like I said, until Performify mandates it, it isn't going to happen. Hell, even if he does, it probably won't happen. I agree that the forum would be much "cleaner," but part of me feels like the random crap threads are an acceptable cost of having threads on different topics.

If I'm away from the forum for a few days and come back looking for X vs. Y game discussion or Z's weekly prop bets, I don't want to have to wade through a multi-page thread about A, B, C, D, etc. just to get to X, Y, and Z.

To give you a more specific example, I've always been a fan of silentbob's weekly NFL prop threads (whether he's a proven winner or not), and I specifically look for that thread Sunday mornings or whenever. If I have to page through a bunch of crap to find his post, it's an inconvenience.

I don't know, there are good reasons on both sides of the argument. I'm just not fully convinced yet. I think we need structure, but not just "catch all" threads.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the Fantasy Football thread in Sporting Events. Everyone only posts about their own team and the amount of questions compared to those answered is like 10-1. Nobody gives a [censored] about anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny cause it's true.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:28 PM

As always, the policies of this forum (outside the 2p2 ToC) are ruled by the forum:

I created a sticky poll: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...umber=12158154

I specifically set it up with a Maybe option to try to catch people who are willing to try it out for a week.

If the "yes" and "maybe" together outweigh the "no", we'll give it a try and re-evaluate after a week.

If the "yes" significantly outweighs the "maybe" and the "no", we'll make it official policy.

If the "no" outweighs the "yes" and "maybe" then we'll shelf this unless people want to revisit in a couple weeks.

-P
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM

I voted no because that kind of defeats the purpose of a forum. If you want to visit a forum that has a single topic or two then try going to somewhere that doesn't have any traffic.

If everything were confined to one thread it would be mayhem.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 AM

Maybe the problem is, there just aren't enough intelligent posters on SportsBet to make this forum significantly better - esp as regards NFL. I'm sure college hockey or Japanese soccer, someone could get us better info, analysis not available elsewhere, but NFL?

People always tell me they love my Penn v Princeton writeups because of the detailed analysis and data and info and color and etc. Eagles v Skins? It's all known.

2p2 is the de facto home of great poker players and analysis. There's no place like that for sports betting because people are scared to share. BJ counters share, poker players share, but not most sharp sports bettors. I don't think that will change anytime soon, sadly. That's why King Yao and the like are terrific.

I will say that my guess guys like him don't post more here is the total donk - educated 'capper ratio. Again, I have no solution for that 'cept killing a few threads.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 AM

One thread would be a mess - I don't see the point of wading through every game to find the 2 or 3 that interest you.