Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

[ QUOTE ]
This type of stuff is extremely variable because you also have to take into account who is at the bottom of the league.

[/ QUOTE ] Is there any way to take this into consideration?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see a chart the graphs each championship table standing by week. I think this might give you a better idea of what you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]why do you think so? Where a team stands each round seems less important than total points IMO.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This type of stuff is extremely variable because you also have to take into account who is at the bottom of the league.

[/ QUOTE ] Is there any way to take this into consideration?

[/ QUOTE ]

hell if I know. Each season is different because of this variable, and it's hard to quantify how strong each club is coming up. There are some years where all three clubs go down that came up and there are some years where two clubs that got promoted stayed up. This is part of the variables that go into each season, also along with schedule strength and how each club is doing in europe+ the FA cup too.

It's all of this is why determining too much from the first 5-10 matches is meaningless IMO as the real season hasn't even started. We don't know who is for real yet and who isn't. I know you're just doing this though to prove that ManU is gonna get 4th now because of getting 8 pts from their first 5 in which we were without Ronaldo for 3 and w/o Rooney for all but the first match
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see a chart the graphs each championship table standing by week. I think this might give you a better idea of what you are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]why do you think so? Where a team stands each round seems less important than total points IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

it shows the highs and lows of a long season, that's why a week by week thing would be important
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it shows the highs and lows of a long season, that's why a week by week thing would be important

[/ QUOTE ]its interesting I suppose, but no way in hell am I spending the time to figure this out.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you're just doing this though to prove that ManU is gonna get 4th now because of getting 8 pts

[/ QUOTE ] no I'm not.

Surprisingly a few of the champs had similar amounts through similar games. I'll post my data tonight.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM

All, I am also thinking about taking the average amount of points at each interval and graphing the standard deviations as well. I was thinking of a range of 2 positive SD and 2 negative SD. However would 3 for each be better?

Secondly, I can do the point totals for the 2nd place teams as well. What would be most important to show, point differential or total points?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All, I am also thinking about taking the average amount of points at each interval and graphing the standard deviations as well. I was thinking of a range of 2 positive SD and 2 negative SD. However would 3 for each be better?

Secondly, I can do the point totals for the 2nd place teams as well. What would be most important to show, point differential or total points?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both, and I also think that it'd be interesting to see how many final points a top 4 club gets in relation to the bottom for clubs. What I mean is, is there is a difference when a club gets relegated with 36 or so points does that correlate to the top 4 clubs having a larger margin of points at the end of the season(this may be a bit much though and not always should include just the bottom four clubs as some relegation battles can be like 7 clubs deep). It'd be interesting to see how real tight relegation battles effects the top of the table too
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC, this is Sh(ci)ty we're talking about, they are pros at breaking their fans hearts, that's why they won't keep this up

[/ QUOTE ]

1-0, stick it up your bollocks munich c.unt

in the nicest possible way of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 PM

two new charts.

It basically shows that around fixtures 17-20 we should start to have the best idea who should win the league.

The last chart is a scatter plot, with the mean included. Red is the champs, black is the runner up.

Also, I just realized my excel version doesn't have the data analysis toolpack, so it will take me a bit more time to do the standard dev stuff. Anyone feel like helping? I can e-mail the file to anyone who's interested. PM me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...pvRunnerUp.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rUpScatter.jpg