Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 AM

Default LHE vs NLHE popularity

Is it just me, or does it seem like it's becoming more and more difficult to find a place to play mid-limit hold em. For example, I hit the Wynn tonight looking for 8/16, they had 1 table, and literally 20 people on the waiting list, weren't starting a new table either. 3 Years ago when I would play, the rooms would be 95% limit, if not 100% (though this was in minnesota [canterbury]). What gives?

For those that live in Cali, are the card rooms there the same? Does NL eat up all the tables and leave little left for mid limit games? It sucks having to drive around town just to try to find a room to play in.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: LHE vs NLHE popularity

even 2-to-7 Lowball is better than limit.. that's why:|
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 AM

its just vegas.

the last time i was in vegas, i went to the wynn and bellagio. it was like fri or sat, there was only 1 8/16 going at the wynn and it was a tough game. I then hopped over to the B and there was only 1 game going also, a tough game, and then it broke like 30 mins later!

theres also the 10/20 at the mirage which is pretty much hit or miss and most of the time it doesnt even run.

Come to cali, mid limit games going all day everday. Hawaiian Gardens 8/16 baby, uber donkfest. Games going 24/7. Everyday there will be a peak of about 8 tables going. On fri and sat, there will be 10+ tables going. All you can eat baby. So many tables gives me problems cause im constantly trying to scout out the most juiciest table! But pretty much every table is monster live.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its just vegas.

the last time i was in vegas, i went to the wynn and bellagio. it was like fri or sat, there was only 1 8/16 going at the wynn and it was a tough game. I then hopped over to the B and there was only 1 game going also, a tough game, and then it broke like 30 mins later!

theres also the 10/20 at the mirage which is pretty much hit or miss and most of the time it doesnt even run.

Come to cali, mid limit games going all day everday. Hawaiian Gardens 8/16 baby, uber donkfest. Games going 24/7. Everyday there will be a peak of about 8 tables going. On fri and sat, there will be 10+ tables going. All you can eat baby. So many tables gives me problems cause im constantly trying to scout out the most juiciest table! But pretty much every table is monster live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what I figured, guess I'm gonna have to convert to NL if I stay here. I'm definitely gonna make a trip out to SD crash at my friend's place and play some poker for a week. I checked out the nearby cardrooms, looks like Ocean's 11 or Sycuan are the best options, which would you recommend? Also, does anyone have a link to that site which lists all the cardrooms/games they spread/rake etc.?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM

Default R U SERIOUS?

Plenty of limit action in Atlantic City, although NL is the choice for most.

I was at the Borgata on Saturday, there were two 20/40, and about six 10/20 going. Dozens of NL's plus a tourney and sit n go's.

I hear the Taj is the same way.

I thought the Bellagio in Vegas has plenty of limit action; if not, I'm skipping my Vegas vacation and going to AC.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 AM

At Foxwoods there are usually a few tables of 5/10 with full kill, and about five 10/20 and 20/40 LHE tables combined. There are many more NL tables going but perhaps not so many at the higher blinds. They also have some stud and Omaha as well. They max out at about 100 tables so LHE is definitely not dead there...

It will be interesting to see what happens when Mohegan Sun opens (re-opens?) their poker room with 45 tables. Rumor has it that they will run 15/30 and 30/60 (probably some 8/16 too). And players at FW think mid-limit at FW will disappear as a result.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:22 AM

NO LIMIT will begin to drag a little when those that thought it was easy money begin dropping into the gutter.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM

Nl is more popular because it is on tv. Markets that are built around tourists migrate to nl games.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or does it seem like it's becoming more and more difficult to find a place to play mid-limit hold em. For example, I hit the Wynn tonight looking for 8/16, they had 1 table, and literally 20 people on the waiting list, weren't starting a new table either. 3 Years ago when I would play, the rooms would be 95% limit, if not 100% (though this was in Minnesota [canterbury]). What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a new phenomenon, its been like this for at least 2 years now. Its extra tough right now because of the WSOP in town but at least it nearly guarantees a mid-limit game.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Not just you. Last month I ping ponged between caesars/venetian/mirage for some 10/20 8/16 or even 6/12 last mo, tables can't sustain. If it werent for the rocks at foxwoods there wouldnt be 10/20 there either.

The Taj will have 20/40 and 10/20 going nearly 24/7. You can get 5/10* going with a little persistance

*the 'what is mid limit' discussion is thataway. ------ >>>.