View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Chiang Mai kicks ass and if I was going to live in Thailand teaching or playing poker or whatever I would do it there.
Its really cheap, nightlife is OK, not as wild as the islands or whatever, good food like everywhere in Thailand, and there are lots of farangs around. I liked it a lot.

PS

if anyone remembers that travel agency I mentioned, they tried to screw me again. Me and some other people were heading to Ko Tao and had to pass through Surat Thani and the bus dropped us off there and they tried the exact same [censored] scam on us. "No boat tonight because of them monsoon" stay here and so on. I was like "I was here last week [censored]" and we all caught a cab to the pier and hopped on the boat.

screw Thong whatever travel company in Surat Thani
Old 10-22-2006, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends what you want to do. Bangkok has many districts for different tastes.

Nana Hotel might be a good bet w/out knowing more about why you are going to Bangkok [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I'm really trying to avoid are tourists acting like disrespectful retards and accidentally making out with a ladyboy. For the first couple days I just need a place to sleep and walk to check stuff out. From their website, Nana hotel seems good. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-22-2006, 11:54 AM

I live in Chiang Mai..

Pro's to living in Chiang Mai over BKK:

Weather: It isn't nearly as hot as in the big city of Bangkok.

Cost: Apartments and stuff are probably significantly cheaper.

Traffic: Not nearly as much traffic as in BKK.

Farang Factor: I'd say you have better status as a Farang. its very easy to go off to a small town and you'll be a rarity/ god. you're still going to have balla status in BKK, but it will be even stronger here.

Landscape: Its quite beautiful up here. They're having a floral expo here, and I understand they'll be having a Muay Thai fight every night.

Cons:

Boring.. I think its prolly a little more boring here..

Nightlife: I don't think there's much of a club scene here at all..

Oceans: Not near the sea.

I'd also say you can get a better feel for old Thai culture up here, and you can also get a better feel for the whole "3rd world" thing. John Voigt, experiencing the culture and stuff might not interest you now, but when you get here, you'll appreciate it more.

As far as internet and things like that go.. I get a great internet connection. There aren't any technological things I need that I can't get.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:57 AM

Degen,

I'm a bit in a quandary now. I'm thinking I probably don't want to go to a backpacker mecca. But then again I don't know what kind of life a backpacker lives, I get a picture of long haired dudes living on noodles, that might not be correct tho [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

What about places to eat, i'm guessing they are everywhere?

Is sukhumvit soi a street where all the fancy hotels are at? I saw that the Grand President is also on sukhumvit soi.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ship it. i hope some of you dude's make it out to thailand as a result [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% certain that I'm going.

Travelling to the other side of the world by myself is going to be [censored] scary and I'm probably going to be raped and murdered (in no particular order), but hell I'm doing it.

Question: Are electronics any cheaper there? I'm going to want a digital camera, and would rather just buy one there if it'll be cheaper.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 PM

Ok, I'm going to graduate in December.

I'm really burnt out on general life things(family, my job, etc.)

I think getting away from it all for a few months would be a good thing for me. This thread has made Thailand very attractive for a getaway.

I'm not looking to live a baller lifestyle or booze it up every night, although I do enjoy a night of drunken debauchery every once in a while. I am mainly looking to chill, play poker, and get to know a foreign culture.

I am looking at a $750-$1000 budget per month. Bangkok is probably out of the question due to cost and crowds. After reading this thread Chiang Mai looks like a good place for me to stay.

What are the other cheap, quiter, but still has some measure of civilization places in Thailand?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 PM

Here is my pad in Samui for $250 a month
Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-22-2006, 09:39 PM

Its in the north.

Takes me 2 mins to get to the beach on my bike.
Closed Thread