Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 AM

Default I\'m confused, bottom two on a drawy flop.

5-10 at The Wynn. I've got $6000 and villain has around $4000. I straddle UTG. Villain is a local younger guy, probably plays for a living.

So like I said, I straddle UTG, CO calls, button calls, sb folds, villain calls from the BB.

4 players, $85

(i have 10-6 off)

Flop

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet $60, CO calls, Button calls, BB check raises to $200. My action with two people behind me? One player behind me is the regular who always sits with about $20,000 in cash and is there everyday for those who might consider his presence in this hand.

I know this is a combo draw or the nut flush draw a lot in normal situations, but he checkraises three of us so I was confused about the correct action here. For those of you who say call and re-eval, what are you doing on a blank turn facing a psb?

This seems like a terrible spot to just call as it gives the next player 4-1 to call, folding seems weak, and raising seems like the most correct play but has to be very marginal.

-Tex
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: I\'m confused, bottom two on a drawy flop.

Given that flop and the multiway action I don't see how a decent player could be value raising so small with a made hand here, unless it happens to be some weird 'information' raise or something. I guess I would expect to see As6s or some random NFD hand.

If stacks were smaller it seems like you would have to call BS and reraise.

With the money that deep though seems like you have to call and reeval in case he is playing JT/66 weirldy or one of the callers is slowplaying.

Also I don't think you have to worry about letting others in cheaply. If you are currently ahead it's very likely villain has a flush draw anyway.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 AM

I'd fold
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 AM

So you guys don't attach much signficance to the fact that the raise is less than 1/2 pot with tons of money behind on a flop where the nuts is very vulnerable, and with three others already active in the pot?

Honest question. To me it seems like some kind of 'probing' raise or pot building raise with a flush draw or something... anything but a set or top two.

But I have never played deep stack live NL... maybe people just get weird.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys don't attach much signficance to the fact that the raise is less than 1/2 pot with tons of money behind on a flop where the nuts is very vulnerable, and with three others already active in the pot?

Honest question. To me it seems like some kind of 'probing' raise or pot building raise with a flush draw or something... anything but a set or top two.

But I have never played deep stack live NL... maybe people just get weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2 still to act, there is really no way OP can continue with this hand profitably IMO. Reverse implied odds are terrible here. Folding looks good.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 PM

dump dump.
-JP
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM

It's live so I'd call and dump to a strong turn bet, people just don't bet big amounts without the goods

this is often JJ btw
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

even if you're ahead here you're still not in great shape to have the best hand at the river - I doubt BB ever has anything that you have crushed and the players behind you surely have outs as well. And it's certainly possible that you're already way behind (although his tiny raise is confusing and doesn't make much sense for anything). Raising at this point is slightly better than a pure bluff (since you have blockers against sets and might somehow manage to showdown the winner sometimes if called), but you'd pretty much be banking on everyone folding. Calling is problematic because there are only a couple cards in the deck that you can really be sure didn't improve anyone and many times you're going to be facing a bet with at least one player left to act behind you.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold, and then check out the free weights in the Wynn gym

[/ QUOTE ]