Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Brian & Barry\'s prop bet

the thing i didnt really get about this bet is that since there is only one winner of a tournament, isnt it hugely problematic for brian if barry wins a tournament, whereas if one of brian's horses (and only one can win) wins, its less significant because they are each only worth 10%.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Barry is a better gambler. I like his end of the prop. He could alter his tournament strategy around the side bet. It would be interesting if he were at the same table with someone he needed to eliminate.

If Barry makes a prop bet, that carries a lot more weight than if Brian makes a prop bet. Barry has the very deep pockets. For a whole lot of reasons, smart people don't go around making side bets with Barry Greenstein. He's smarter than a circus dog. He already has the super good karma that it would not be wise to bet against.

Even if you pull for Brian, bet on Barry.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing i didnt really get about this bet is that since there is only one winner of a tournament, isnt it hugely problematic for brian if barry wins a tournament, whereas if one of brian's horses (and only one can win) wins, its less significant because they are each only worth 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

But prev his horses assuming equal skill and finish distrubution would win twice as often as barry so he may owe barry 20% of first 3 times in say 200 tourneys barry will pay him 10% of first 6 times.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

7. I’m sure some of the young players will pass me up, since they are getting better and I am declining as I get older.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty interesting admission. I wonder what the peak years for poker play are, either specifically for Barry Greenstein or in general.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Barry, I'm curious: how well do you keep up with Who's Who in online poker? As in, how familiar are you with the games of some of online's "elite"? Are there any specific players who particularly impress you? I'm particularly thinking of tournaments, but if you want to remark on cash games too that'd be welcomed.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Pariah, Barry was quoted saying he didn't know who Jared Hamby was when they had Jared on as a guest on Pokerwire Radio.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM

It's hard to quantify what constitutes "edge" in a bet where the amount of money at risk is unclear/TBD. But I'd say that Barry has the best of this in the sense that his gross return will be 50-70% bigger than Brian's.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry, I'm curious: how well do you keep up with Who's Who in online poker? As in, how familiar are you with the games of some of online's "elite"? Are there any specific players who particularly impress you? I'm particularly thinking of tournaments, but if you want to remark on cash games too that'd be welcomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't keep up and I rarely watch poker on TV. When I'm at a table of young players, I often ask my son if he knows any of them. I have seen several play well on that day we were together, but it's hard to know how well they would have done facing other problems at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all this and still think your side of the bet is marginal at best.

You argue that the primary reason for the online players' dominance is that that they can get away with murder in the short-term, and then you let Brian pick two extremely promising internet players who are actively capitalizing on the short-term (and who can probably adjust like good players do, anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are obviously a lot of good young players. Poker is popular today. Some of them will stand the test of time and some of them will go by the wayside, and we will realize they had a good year or two out of variance. I have seen a lot of weak play out of some supposed stars. Originally, Brian was planning on choosing about ten players. In that group, I'm sure a couple of them would have turned out to be long term duds. I think I’ve shown that I’m OK in the long run.

No one is going to have a huge edge over me in tournaments. But more importantly, how will some of the young players fare when they are not playing their A games? How will they play when they are depressed because their girlfriends broke up with them? Will they get caught up in the fast lane in Vegas? I would think that my D game is better than any of the young guns, because of my maturity and experience. Many people on the forums rate Phil Ivey and Patrik Antonius ahead of me. However, both of them are young and capable of playing very badly when they aren’t focused. Neither of them would tell you their D games match up with mine.

Most likely, there is no big edge here. I don’t think I’ve played with Sorel in a tournament yet, but I’ve played with Justin and I don’t think he’d tell you he’s a favorite over me. (Actually, Justin seems to be a good kid and humble, despite all the bashing he gets here for multiple entries in tournaments. I asked him if he ever played at the same table as himself, and he said no. I agree it’s wrong, but I often hear of people having multiple entries in tournaments. One guy even bragged he split one with himself.)

Barry
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Actually, Justin seems to be a good kid and humble, despite all the bashing he gets here for multiple entries in tournaments. I asked him if he ever played at the same table as himself, and he said no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is false, and he admitted as much when the scandal first broke.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't keep up and I rarely watch poker on TV. When I'm at a table of young players, I often ask my son if he knows any of them. I have seen several play well on that day we were together, but it's hard to know how well they would have done facing other problems at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has he given you his opinion on Isaac Haxton?