Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Default BBV: Anyone know Virginia traffic laws??

beat: got pulled over doing 86 in a 65 through Virginia last week.

brag: told the officer i deserved it, because i had been doing 90+ for 5 straight hours.

variance: fine could be anywhere from $250-$2,500...

was driving from ohio to georgia last weekend, and got pulled over in virginia. apparently in that state, 86 in a 65 is deemed 'reckless operation', a misdemeanor 1.

when asking (pestering) the statie about possible fines, he said it varies, but the maximum fine is $2,500. apparently they take speeding seriously in virginia. anything from 65-80mph is just a fine, 81-99mph is 'reckless operation', and i am supposed to appear in court, though he gave me a paper to fill out if i can't appear.

my problem is, i'm not driving all the way down to virginia (7 hours or so) just to appear in court, but then, i don't want to get a thousand dollar fine in the mail either.

i also just got a couple pamphlets from local attorneys down there, saying they'd appear for me, and basically trying to scare me into paying for their services...

what to do?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: BBV: Anyone know Virginia traffic laws??

virginia = you screwed
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM

also, the statie told me that i could possibly write a letter to the judge asking for leniency, and/or send a copy of my driving record.

driving record is probably out, as i haven't had any tickets in about 3 1/2 years, but had maybe 6 in the years prior to that.

if i were to write a letter to the judge, should i beg? try to explain the situation? tell him that i'm a poor teacher, and that i learned my lesson? lie?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
virginia = you screwed

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i hear, and that's why i'm asking...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 PM

I live in Virginia and the traffic laws are pretty strict. But, I've known some people in similiar situations in Virginia who have appeared in court and got out not damaged too badly. I don't know enough about it to give you any advice though, sorry.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Virginia and the traffic laws are pretty strict. But, I've known some people in similiar situations in Virginia who have appeared in court and got out not damaged too badly. I don't know enough about it to give you any advice though, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

my question then, would be should i drive 14 hours roundtrip on the day before july 4th? or just send in the paperwork, a letter to the judge, and hope?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:05 PM

I go to school in Virginia. VA offers an "online driving course" you can take. TAKE THIS COURSE... pass it and then take your results with you to the judge.

My friend got charged with going 88 in a 65 and because he was proactive and took the course before his court date the charge was DROPPED. <font color="orange"> </font>
Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 PM

i thought in VA it was 20 over the speed limit is reckless driving and over 100 is intent to kill... i got caught by a "statie" goin 84 in a 60 but he let me off the hook without a warning (holla!). i doubt u will get the maximum. what road where you on? 95?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
brag: told the officer i deserved it, because i had been doing 90+ for 5 straight hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beat: The officer wrote this down in his report, and the judge will see this comment.

Beat: This is probably a felony offense for reckless endagerment

Brag: It's not me
Brag: You're a tool
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 PM

You could possible lose your license, 90 you almost definately would, but being out of state I don't know if they can do that. I know you will get a reckless driving and prob pay ~$300 fine. Don't go to court if you don't have to(not worth trying to get off and risking paying court costs along with a long drive).