Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Default What shapes your opinion of opposing fan bases?

I've been thinking about this lately with the OSU game coming up. As a Michigan fan, I've been to Columbus and completely hated the experience and most of the people I came across. However, I've been only once, whereas the message board I hang out at has a few Buckeyes, all of whom are very reasonable and intelligent people. Conversely, my trip to Notre Dame was perfectly fine and I loved the place, but my main source of exposure to ND fans is ndnation, which is easily the worst message board in the history of the internet (unless everything posted there is a parody). So I tend to view Domers as irrational self-absorbed dicks, even though anyone I've ever met in person has been a total class act.

The correct classification of ND and OSU fans aside, what shapes your image of fan bases? Actual experiences at games, friends you have, images on TV, or internet message board discussions? Other?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: What shapes your opinion of opposing fan bases?

Mine comes from the games I've been to. I went to the Eagles Jaguars game this past weekend, I'm obviously a Jags fan, and I wore my Tony Boselli. I knew that I was going to be the butt of many jokes and insults. I was not expecting to have beer poured on me and people willing to fight me.

But, at the Meadowlands for both Jet and Giant games I did not get anywhere near the harrassment that I recieved at Lincoln Financial. I was expecting Jet fans to be as bad as Iggle fans but they were fun to be with, until the Jags won in OT. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Giant fans have been the best by far, fun, loud and overall great experience.

I never expected NJ/NY people to be THAT much nicer that Philly fans.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM

Gameday experience as well as how I see the fans acting on T.V. I'm also a Jags fan and was at Lambeau Field last year when the Jags played at Green Bay. Was treated really well (even after the game which the Jags won). Of course it was so damn cold - maybe that kept people from making unnecessary movements such as taking a swing at me - lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM

Philadelphia Eagles fans are the toughest fans in the NFL on opposing fans. The only team that might be even close is Oakland. You would expect tough treatment in other places, such as New York, but Philly is far worse. Going in there with an opposing jersey on is just a mistake, and you have to know that going in and deal with the consequences.

I was at the Owens game a few weeks ago. We made a girl cry with the stuff we were chanting at her.

Is it right? No, not really. Does it shape good opinions? Of course not. It's just reality.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Philadelphia Eagles fans are the toughest fans in the NFL on opposing fans. The only team that might be even close is Oakland. You would expect tough treatment in other places, such as New York, but Philly is far worse. Going in there with an opposing jersey on is just a mistake.

I was at the Owens game a few weeks ago. We made a girl cry with the stuff we were chanting at her.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I don't understand. Fans are not players, you go there to watch the game. I don't see how fans can't figure out the line between fan and player. The players are the one playing the violent sport, we are there to cheer our team and enjoy the product they give us. Maybe that is my mentality because I actually play the sport at the college level now and have aspirations to go further, into coaching and such.

Anyway, I knew it was going to be hostile, hell they have a court right there in that maginificent complex. They did do a tremendous job there btw.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM

I'm a Kings fan and I abhor all Lakers fans. A lot are championship riders and I can't stand them.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I don't understand. Fans are not players, you go there to watch the game. I don't see how fans can't figure out the line between fan and player. The players are the one playing the violent sport, we are there to cheer our team and enjoy the product they give us. Maybe that is my mentality because I actually play the sport at the college level now and have aspirations to go further, into coaching and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I agree. For whatever reason, there is just a higher percentage of drunken jerks that will throw beer and throw punches than at other stadiums. It's as much tradition and reputation as anything. Some people want to be the "tough guy" that holds up the Eagles reputation by fighting a Cowboys fan.

FWIW, I'm not into being nice to opposing fans. You won't see me offering a beer or food to opposing fans at a tailgate, and I definitely chant stuff at them. But I wouldn't throw a beer, and certainly not a punch. That's way too far.

But at the same time, I won't rat out fans that do to security. During the Dallas game, a fan standing practically next to me threw a beer on a Cowboys fan walking up the stairs. Security came over to throw the guy out, and every Eagles fan in the area pointed backwards, as if to say, "he ran back that way." The culprit was still standing right there.

[ QUOTE ]
hell they have a court right there in that maginificent complex. They did do a tremendous job there btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they really did. It's a great stadium.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:44 PM

If they cheer for teams worse than mine, they're mosochistic idiots. If they cheer for teams better than mine, they're bandwagon jumping elitest asshats.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I'm not into being nice to opposing fans. You won't see me offering a beer or food to opposing fans at a tailgate, and I definitely chant stuff at them. But I wouldn't throw a beer, and certainly not a punch. That's way too far. But at the same time, I won't rat out fans that do to security.

[/ QUOTE ]
Klassy!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they cheer for teams worse than mine, they're mosochistic idiots. If they cheer for teams better than mine, they're bandwagon jumping elitest asshats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.