Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Harrah\'s to build sports arena behind Ballys

They believe that if they build it a NBA franchise will come.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6693150
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s to build sports arena behind Ballys

[ QUOTE ]
They believe that if they build it a NBA franchise will come.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6693150

[/ QUOTE ]

2 many gamblers and places to bet sports i always thought was the reason they never had a team. Well... do we count the XFL team?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM

this is HUGE news. It solves the problem the NBA has of getting players to and from the area proposed by the Mayor who has been working on his vision of redeveloping downtown with the area as the centerpiece for the past year. With Harrah's ESPN clout this seems real. What I dont understand is why they didnt discuss with the city in advance, and what the Mayor will have to do to bring another sport to the table (The Mayor's plan is to redevelop the downtown arts district across from my home).
Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 PM

They have a minor-league hockey team that plays at the Orleans right now.
If this new arena wants to lay down some ice then I'm sure this team could have an interest in playing at the better location.

A city like Las Vegas could draw pretty decently for a minor-league hockey team with a good arena and location. Maybe that would even catch the NHL's eye a bit more.

Gary Bettman might not have the same kind of hang-ups that Stern has. His league is struggling a lot more of course.
Possibility of bringing an NHL team if the arena is there waiting for one? I sure as hell don't know but am just trying to think creatively here.

I think LV already has some arena football already but obviously this could be moved over to the new arena too if they wanted.

And having a higher caliber and newer arena in a city that already brings in a zillion conventions could always work out decently. Thinking the Rodeo championships in December could be moved there if they wanted to.
I don't know how nice the Thomas Mack arena is but I'm assuming it isn't really that impressive which is why they could use a new arena in the first place.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how nice the Thomas Mack arena is but I'm assuming it isn't really that impressive which is why they could use a new arena in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its impossible to get to without a car, thats part of the reason why the All Star weekend was such a nightmare. Stern said he wouldn't go back to the T&M.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Right. Even if they were able to build all the luxury-suites and all that other cool stuff onto a slightly beat-up Mack Center it obviously doesn't have the best of locations.

An arena right there just a quick walk from the middle of the strip would draw pretty well I would have to think.

I would be really interested to see how that minor-league hockey team would do there.
Harrah's could give away tix as cheap comps, especially to families. etc etc.

I'm also assuming UNLV might be interested in playing there as well as their conference tourney.
And other stuff like NBA-development stuff perhaps and things like the current FIBA tournament.

Not sure if they would be able to land some early-round NCAA tourney games though as that area already gets crazy enough during March Madness time and there's enough paranoia about the sports-betting conflicts as is.

There are so many cities that have fewer uses for a nice arena who built one and then hoped maybe they could land a few concerts to fill the space occasionally through the year.
LV has enough stuff going on that could be a good fit for that arena that I really don't think there's much risk for Harrah's to be building something like this just off the strip even if they never get an NBA team.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM

david stern says no. jim rome has asked him a few times.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Vegas seems like a good place to have a basketball team imo...reminds me of LA.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:48 PM

At least the refs can play blackjack close by.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With Harrah's ESPN clout this seems real.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I had to laugh a little at this one.

I have no idea if an NBA team will come to Vegas, but I'm pretty sure ESPN and Harrah's aren't too fond of each other.