Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Right brain v. Left brain test - spinning dancer

This is a only an optical illusion and has nothing to do with the pop psychology attached to it. Try concentrating on the "shadow" at the bottom of the dancer and looking at it like a reflection. Eventually you can get your brain to flip back and forth and see it both ways. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 AM

When I first looked she was going to the right with an occasional flip to the left...but the longer I looked the more it seemed she was going right continuously. Could it be a visual trick indicating where your eyes are currently focusing?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
** I thought I read soewhere that the whole left brain v right brain was bunk?

[/ QUOTE ]

The popular conception of left brain-right brain differences is oversimplified, and the self-help stuff like 'get in tough with your right brain' is bunk. But the two hemispheres are specialized and there's an element of truth to a lot of what you hear about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go so far as to say that this has more to do with dominant eyes than "brainedness."

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, I would have expected that the effect would be random. AFAICT what you see depends on where your visual system places the light source.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Oh, whoa, I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check this out. Now she is spinning anti-clockwise and I can't get her to go the otherway. In the late evening, she was going clockwise and I had the hardest time getting her to go the other way. I'm looking at it one more time right now and she is still spinning anti-clockwise. I wonder if your brain reacts differently in the morning then at night.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, whoa, I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was check this out. Now she is spinning anti-clockwise and I can't get her to go the otherway. In the late evening, she was going clockwise and I had the hardest time getting her to go the other way. I'm looking at it one more time right now and she is still spinning anti-clockwise. I wonder if your brain reacts differently in the morning then at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funky, obv you must from now on time your responses in different threads to what brainhalf suits them best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 01:50 PM

Clockwise. (I don't buy the right brain/left brain distinction, however)

Also interesting, I find that my brain is visually filling in some details of the hair and face that don't exist.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFAICT what you see depends on where your visual system places the light source.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a better way of putting it. Try to picture the shadow like it was a reflection and you were lookin at the dancer through a pane of glass from underneath or something. It took my coworkers like 5 minutes to understand how they could see it both ways.

lol @ the some of the reasoning offered up in this thread. At least no one suggested looking at it during odd or even numbered minutes.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM

First time I looked, the dancer appeared to be going
anticlockwise; the second time, clockwise. With some
effort, I was able to see the dancer alternating in each
direction for half a revolution!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clockwise. (I don't buy the right brain/left brain distinction, however)

Also interesting, I find that my brain is visually filling in some details of the hair and face that don't exist.

[/ QUOTE ] Hi Metric,
Here's another discussion on the dancer. These folks at Freakonomics are attempting to do a little experiment to test the efficacy of the dancer test. They are also asking their group if anyone knows why or how this is suppose to test for "brainedness". They have over 1045 comments as of my writing this, so I haven't waided through many of them yet. Just thought this was interesting.
Look about a quarter of the way down the page.

spinning dancer - Freakonomics Blog
Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Wow. Insane. Last night I saw counter clockwise. Today I saw clockwise and couldn't for the life of me see counter-clockwise. I was convinced that I just screwed up which direction was clockwise last night. But now I've found counter clockwise (I advise focusing on her left arm) and am having trouble seeing clockwise again. This thing is mesmerizing, even before the nipple.