Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 09-15-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: If you had to invest $1,000,000 of your money on ONE poker player.

Stu Ungar and only for poker purposes...you didn't say they had to be alive. I win.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: If you had to invest $1,000,000 of your money on ONE poker player...

Since no one mentioned him, I'll say David. No way he sits in a game unless he has a good edge. I'd pic a bigger limit player like Barry for the absolute EV $ amount, but the variance is just too damn high for my liking. Barry could easily lose the million, and then I'd be SOL.
David would have a solid +ev, and a very very low (basically miniscule/nonexistant) ROR
My only issue is that he probably doesn't play too many hours, so I'd prefer to pic a different 300/600 reg, except I don't know who else to pick.

I'd easily pick veganmav. He's awesome at LHE, and played good size stakes, also not quite optimally high enough to maximize my EV with my million dollar investment. I think BaronZeus would be a solid pick. Again, I won't go so far as to pick texaslimitking, because they play a bit too high, and could lose my whole investment.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stu Ungar and only for poker purposes...you didn't say they had to be alive. I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know he was probably an overall loser in cash games, right?

Why is it that everyone with less then 100 posts is a stu ungar fanboy?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 AM

Todd Brunson for da casher games
Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 AM

Gabriel Thaler I think. TBH I would have forgot about him had there not been another thread about him.

He's seemed willing to gamble but very smart with the cacsh.

for those in the know does that seem like an acurate statement?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: If you had to invest $1,000,000 of your money on ONE poker player...

[ QUOTE ]
Since no one mentioned him, I'll say David. No way he sits in a game unless he has a good edge. I'd pic a bigger limit player like Barry for the absolute EV $ amount, but the variance is just too damn high for my liking. Barry could easily lose the million, and then I'd be SOL.
David would have a solid +ev, and a very very low (basically miniscule/nonexistant) ROR
My only issue is that he probably doesn't play too many hours, so I'd prefer to pic a different 300/600 reg, except I don't know who else to pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, he's right. I may get you a big win, but I might lose the million also. And I don't make good game selection decisions in many cases. I think if someone else was investing, I would make better decisions, but the caution might also cost me some of my aggressiveness.

Example of bad decision: I was up a little over a million at the WSOP and I didn't like the lineup and the risk in the big NLH/PLO game. I played chinese poker waiting for the lineup to get better, which would probably have meant that I wouldn't get a seat anyway.

Meanwhile, in the other top section, there was 600-1200 game with some Europeans playing badugi and triple draw -- games they don't usually play. My girlfriend told me to check it out, but I was too lazy to even walk over and check out a game smaller than I usually play. Chau played and picked up $150,000. I got stuck in chinese and dusted off several hundred thousand over the next two days.

I have now forced myself to go to the commerce a couple times a week to play in the 400-800, but what I notice is that when the game is good (and often has been going for more than 24 hours) I can't get a seat. To have the most success, I would have to camp out there and not miss out on the good situations. If I were 25 years old with no family, I would do that. At 52 years old with too many responsibilities, it's not possible.

Barry
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 PM

[x] thread is about to explode
Old 09-15-2007, 07:05 PM

Gambler2k4. Because I know he can beat all those donks at 1k and 2kNL. He was just a little unlucky.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 PM

The fact that op wants to use 1 mil on tourney buyins is tilting me so hard right now...
Old 09-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Brian Watkins or That fat guy in the Washington Bullets jersey from last year's WSOP