Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Default What range of hands to defend BB with against a UTG raise?

I'm trying to figure out what a good range to defend the BB with against someone who plays TAG and raises approx. 10% of his hands preflop.

The first question is how much equity do we need to defend? Stox recommends 35% equity, so I have used this number, but I'm not sure if it's correct against a tight utg raising range where we have to worry more about domination and we have less postflop folding equity.

The real problem, what is a typical UTG-raising range at a 10-handed table? Is it:

99+,AJs+,AQo+,KQs

In this case we have 35%+ equity with 22+, AJs+ and AQo+

But if his range would be:

88+,AJs+,AQo+,KQs

We have 35% equity with 44+, ATs+, KJs+, JTs and AQ0+

As you can see adding just one hand to his range changes our defending range. Some hands that where calling hands before (22-33) aren't calling hands against this new range, and some new suited hands have been added instead.

If we add another few hands to his range:

88+,ATs+,AJo+,KQs,KQo

We can call with even more hands:

22+, A2s+, KQs, JTs and ATo+.

So, what's the right range if you only know that villain is a 10% pfr TAG and he is raising from UTG?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: What range of hands to defend BB with against a UTG raise?

22 and 33 are still profitable IMO because they have implied odds type hands that are easy to get away from in this situation. You'll be able to play perfectly after the flop.

Dominated hands, such as small suited aces, are a bit more problematic. These are hands that are tough to play perfectly after the flop.

Basically, his opening range, while somewhat important, shouldn't entirely dictate what kinds of hands you should defend with in this situation. Is he a very aggressive player who will lose a lot of bets if you flop a set? Obviously implied odds type hands like small pairs and suited connectors increase in value. Does he shut down with one pair after you raise? Dominated hands increase in value. If he's a good TAG, your range should obviously decrease; if he's a bad TAG, your range should increase.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be able to play perfectly after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. If the flop comes 557 and you have 22 and he c-bets, how can you play perfect? (and this is a good board for 22) I think small suited aces are easier to play in a lot of cases: you at least know that you can't beat anything UI.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM

I'm not a big fan of KQ when UTG raises because it's so often dominated.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. If the flop comes 557 and you have 22 and he c-bets, how can you play perfect? (and this is a good board for 22) I think small suited aces are easier to play in a lot of cases: you at least know that you can't beat anything UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone stove 22's equity against ATs+ 88+ AJo+ on a 557 flop? I'm at work, but I doubt this is a very "good" flop given UTG's range
Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 AM

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
Player 1: 63.097 % 62.846 % 0.503 % 36.652 % ATs+, 88+, AJo+
Player 2: 36.903 % 36.652 % 0.503 % 62.846 % 22
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM

You will have approx 40% equity.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit, but if we know this guy is a TAG of some sort, wouldn't we have seen enough hands with him to know how to play that flop? I mean, in the time it took us to figure out this guy is a TAG, I'd figure he'd give away some of his preferred lines.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM

- Pf raises aren't necessarily a good thing for implied odds. How often are we going to make up the difference by calling with a small pp or SC<T9?
- In a 4% raked pot, I'd think one would need to be fairly tight in defending the BB HU.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit, but if we know this guy is a TAG of some sort, wouldn't we have seen enough hands with him to know how to play that flop? I mean, in the time it took us to figure out this guy is a TAG, I'd figure he'd give away some of his preferred lines.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wanted to focus here on preflop in this topic (and yes, I understand postflop and preflop are related). But if he is a somewhat decent tag he is going to c-bet 100% of the time and 3-bet and calls (and raises the turn) with both worse and better hands.