Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

As a Chelsea season ticket holder I would disagree with the thoughts here on Chelsea's front line this season.

Drogba had an amazing first half of last season, the second half not much so, but this was still a huge improvement on his previous seasons for us. After all the criticism of him (which was fully deserved) he played an incredible few months and has since 'leveled off' in his performances. However, he is still one of the best strikers around at the moment.

I'm surprised you are all not impressed by Pizarro. He has played very little time on the pitch so far this year but his control and link up are looking very promising. I was not expecting much from him but I can see him looking good alongside Drogba. He is a replacement for that Gudjohnsen type role which we have missed in certain games since he left. He has made of the better starts for a forward at Chelsea that I have seen over the past 10 years.

Shevchenko was not as terrible as many pundits made out last year, but he was incredibly disappointing. I was a big of his before he came to Chelsea. He looked woefully unfit last year. I am prepared to give him a fresh chance this season when you take into account the poor first (or 2) seasons of many of the Premierships best imported strikers.

I have to disagree with mosdef about Kalou. Kalou I am far from convinced about. He is somewhat talented but lacks skill and workrate. His final ball and shooting is frankly appalling in general.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 AM

panda, I think what it comes down to is Chelsea has one great striker, and three (currently) mediocre ones.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
panda, I think what it comes down to is Chelsea has one great striker, and three (currently) mediocre ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything I think thats being very generous to Shevchenko and Kalou.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]ok then, so is that acceptable for you? For a top 4 side? I mean, Drogba carried the workload last year. Do you think he's likely to match last years total? I am still very surprised Roman didn't let Jose buy Martins or Anelka. I am glad though hahaha.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two posts ago, you say that people are being unfair to Sheva. Now you say he's worse than mediocre?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM

gusmahler, sorry I wasn't very clear, he was poor last season but that was mainly due to clearly being unfit and that he does deserve another chance, but I'm not expecting much.

ThaSaltCracka; no, its not really acceptable for any side that wants to win the Prem and Champions League. Drogba carried the workload last year and the only replacement we had for him then was Shevchenko, so at least Pizarro is an addition there. I am far from a pessimistic Chelsea fan having seen far worse times at the club (!) and I am a huge fan of Mourinho, however it has been clear to me that our squads both at the start of this season and last season have been lacking a little. Last season we started with just one right back (Ferreira) and 2 centre backs (Terry and Carvalho), midfielders were expected to play out of position to accomodate if they were missing (although Geremi was something of a natural-ish right back but Mourinho never really liked him for no apparent reason). This season we are looking a little thin up front to me with just the 3 forwards mentioned, 2 of whom no one is expecting much at all of, and just 3 injury-prone wide players in Kalou, J Cole and Wright-Philips.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 PM

panda, getting rid of Robben still doesn't make much sense to me.

Chelsea are such a weird team. They acquire two old [censored] last season. They don't really bring in any quality this season sans Malouda and Alex. Neither are really all that special anyway.

Looks to me like the whole things falling apart. There is probably a lot of drama going on with Jose and Roman.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This season we are looking a little thin up front to me with just the 3 forwards mentioned, 2 of whom no one is expecting much at all of, and just 3 injury-prone wide players in Kalou, J Cole and Wright-Philips.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Malouda, who has looked good in the games I've seen.

Don't you think the defense should be much stronger with actual backup CBs? It really was the defense that killed Chelsea last year, as most of the ground they lost to Man U was when Terry and/or Cech was out.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:59 AM

TSC, I am still quite angry that we sold Robben without replacing him, not that I'm sure many players could. I understand getting rid of players whom no longer want to play for your, but you have to replace one of your best players if you do.

Alex is from all I know a very good defender but very slow. Slow enough to make the rest of our defense look fast. We will have to see about him. Gus, our defense is much stronger this season without doubt, especially if Ashley Cole plays anywhere near as well as he should have done so far.

As for Malouda, he has made an impressive start for Chelsea. I did not include him as a winger as he has mostly played in the centre for us. He played wide against Liverpool but I definitely thought he looked like a central midfielder trying to play wide. He did not look very comfortable with it. However, that is just 1 game so I may be wrong.

As for Jose/Roman...Who knows? It is clear that were both unhappy last season. Over the summer I'm not sure things have gotten any better. Roman refused to pay money for players after burning money on Shevchenko and Ballack to name but 2, which is understandable to a degree. Jose is visibly unhappy with the appointment of the Israeli (who's name escapes me) guy to the board who's job is to 'watch over' the team.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Hey, maybe Tottenham will finally beat Arsenal.

Cannot wait til Blackburn vs. Chelsea, should be a fun match.