Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

I was going to do Azure Ray! I am happy other's pay attention to them. Wdogg, I am working on a Tori Amos right now.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's a one-hit wonder

[/ QUOTE ]

Anna Nalick's Wreck of the Day is a strong CD from track 1 to 11.

~ Rick

PS It there a CD selling site that generally provides better sample cuts than Amazon?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here's a one-hit wonder

[/ QUOTE ]

Anna Nalick's Wreck of the Day is a strong CD from track 1 to 11.

~ Rick

PS It there a CD selling site that generally provides better sample cuts than Amazon?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it's odd: I LOVE Breathe and yet I never bothered to seek out the album it came from! Guess I'll have to remedy that.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nice Sara Brightman post, and i love her work in Phantom...so I guess we'll let it go that she's not a "singer/songwriter." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spent an hour on Margo Timmins of Cowboy Junkies before it hit me that she may not have written most of the Junkies' songs. And she didn't (but her brother Michael did). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dibs on Maria McKee for later in the week.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone will mind if you post your stuff on Margo....and i'll let you do Maria McKee...but it'd better be good! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Tori Amos.

Born as Myra Ellen Amos on August 22, 1963, she changed her name after a friend told her that she looked like a Tori. In 1968, she won a scholarship to the Peabody Institute of Musica and was kicked out because she did not like to read music. It would be tragic to see such talent do to waste, and waste it did not. First arriving to Los Angeles, she paid the bills by acting until she landed her first recording contract.

Her music is diverse, deep, intellectual and emotional. Her piano work is at times fast or soft, always tip-toeing around the influences that made her who she is, and at times directly confronting in covers of songs such as "Living on a Prayer," and at other times mocking, as in her cover of "Tell me why I like Sundays," twisting it to "Tell my why I hate Mondays."

Most of her songs talk about difficulties of being who she is and about the world around her. To really get a sense of the woman, it is mandatory to pick up her live albums. At times she may sound majestic, and at other times she may sound sarcastic, but there is never a doubt that she is confident in herself and convinced by the words she sings.

wiki

home page

myspace

Discography:

American Doll Posse: A two disk cd and a solid effort. Very few of the songs are stand-alone good, though it mixes well with other music of it's kind. Tori Amos attempts to combine all of her personalities into one album.

A Piano (box set):

The Bee Keeper: An over-all softer album.

Tales of a Librarian: Very strong album. Just about every song has a solid punch and beauty. Includes her hit "corn-flake girl.

Scarlets walk:

Strange little Girls: A solid rocking album with some soft ones for good measure.

To Venus and Back:

From the Choirgirl Hotel: My favorite album. It is more dancy and heavy than anything else she has done.

Boys for Pele: A simple album that doesn't show as much musical texture as her later albums.

Under the Pink:

Little Earthquakes: Assuming the covert title, it is about love and love not. A heavy fast paced album including "crucify."

I am so attracted to her..... If I ever am in a relationship, it will require a caveat.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM

MoZella

For a girl so young, MoZella has a textured history. I met her for a radio interview four years ago. Before that date, she had just returned to Los Angeles from Europe. She rushed back after receiving a call from A&R from a boutique music firm. Before that time, she was touring Europe, playing side gigs in festivals and well.... Struggling in Ireland. She grew up struggling in Detroit, moved to Los Angeles, worked as a waitress, still struggling while staying in her car. Her works are based on these struggles, or rather the joy she expects to have while not struggling. Now signed to Maverick Records, she continues on her life journey to prosperity. A true fighter until the end, after talking to her, I was left with little doubt that she will never settle for second best.

She has one Album called "I will." Perhaps it is nothing truly stunning or original, but it is a nice compliment to any library focusing on Jazz.

home page

myspace : with some sample songs.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM

I saw a Tori Amos concert a couple of years ago in Omaha and it was excellent. She had a piano on each side of her and straddled a bench while going back and forth playing them. I have never been so transformed and mesmerized by a concert before.

It was beautiful, powerful, sexy, passionate, and dirty all at the same time. I would encourage anyone who hasnt seen her perform, do yourself a favor. Even if you havent heard any of her songs you will probably enjoy the concert. It's funny I went with my g/f who is now my wife and she still gives me crap about how transfixed I was at the concert.

She is beyond talented, I didnt even start listening to her until Scarletts Walk came out a few years ago then went back and listened to anything I could find of hers.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Wdogg. I wish you did Tori now. What albums do you think are the most accessible to those who are not familiar with her work?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MoZella

For a girl so young, MoZella has a textured history. I met her for a radio interview four years ago. Before that date, she had just returned to Los Angeles from Europe. She rushed back after receiving a call from A&R from a boutique music firm. Before that time, she was touring Europe, playing side gigs in festivals and well.... Struggling in Ireland. She grew up struggling in Detroit, moved to Los Angeles, worked as a waitress, still struggling while staying in her car. Her works are based on these struggles, or rather the joy she expects to have while not struggling. Now signed to Maverick Records, she continues on her life journey to prosperity. A true fighter until the end, after talking to her, I was left with little doubt that she will never settle for second best.

She has one Album called "I will." Perhaps it is nothing truly stunning or original, but it is a nice compliment to any library focusing on Jazz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked out her myspace page and was listening and thought to myself that it reminded me of Macy Gray then I read some reviews and thats one of the people they compare her to. It's a pretty good sound.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Born as Myra Ellen Amos on August 22, 1963, she changed her name after a friend told her that she looked like a Tori.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I've been meaning to get around to Tori Amos for a while. I think I'm just a bit too young and I missed her the first time around, because everyone I know loves her. The "I Don't Like Mondays" song was on a West Wing episode and I thought it was great.

This thread is going well, guys. Dibs on Nellie McKay.