Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

i think it is just as ignorant for americans to view europeans uniformly as it is for europeans to view americans uniformly. americans vary so vastly depending on where you go it is astounding some times.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its definitely a valid point, but the differences between different peoples in the US is pretty miniscule compared with the differences between different European countries.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm pretty sure this is true. I also really think that, take British culture and thinking, is a lot closer to American culture and thinking than it is to, say Romanian, Russian or Spanish culture. And on top of that you speak the same language (almost [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). If Britain is closer to America than it is to Romania, it becomes pretty ridiculous to claim the US is as heterogeneous as Europe.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it is just as ignorant for americans to view europeans uniformly as it is for europeans to view americans uniformly. americans vary so vastly depending on where you go it is astounding some times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, but are the differances between East Coast, West Coast and Bible Belt guys for example anywhere near the differances between a Brit, a Lithuanian and a Grecian?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Det er typisk norsk å være god
imo
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm From Europe, and I curious how Americans view 'us European' guys.
Do you feel yourself better than us?More modern/less advanced?Europe wealthyer/more poor?Would you ever go to Europe on a holiday?You have different opinions on each country, or do you view us all alike?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually pretty liberal, but I kind of get sick of the constant "holier than thou" attitude that Euros exhibit towards Americans. My favorite was some Londoner that made a random crack about Americans in an online poker chatbox and I called him on it. His response: "At least we dont go around bombing countries for no reason." Umm, excuse me? Really?

I have always been against the war, but we get treated as if we all supported it and are all Bush lovers when in reality he barely won 2 elections. I wish Euros would quit acting like their [censored] dont stink.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Det er typisk norsk å være god
imo

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn straight. About time we got this thread back on track to discussing how awesome Norwegians are. (I won't bother to translate the text, since I assume most people know Norwegian anyway. At least, they should.)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, but are the differances between East Coast, West Coast and Bible Belt guys for example anywhere near the differances between a Brit, a Lithuanian and a Grecian?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I won't claim to know too much about daily life in Lithuania or Greece, but I do think that you guys may be underestimating the diversity in the US. I mean, a town in Texas is going to be different from one in California or Maine or Tennessee, in ethnicity, food, religion, climate, whatever else you can think of. They're not always huge differences, and they're probably not as big as country to country in Europe, but they're not negligible, either.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am actually pretty liberal, but I kind of get sick of the constant "holier than thou" attitude that Euros exhibit towards Americans. My favorite was some Londoner that made a random crack about Americans in an online poker chatbox and I called him on it. His response: "At least we dont go around bombing countries for no reason." Umm, excuse me? Really?

I have always been against the war, but we get treated as if we all supported it and are all Bush lovers when in reality he barely won 2 elections. I wish Euros would quit acting like their [censored] dont stink.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true and I hate the loser liberal Euros who make cracks like this. However, if you were to ask a bunch of Europeans what they disliked most about Americans, I can pretty much garuantee 'Thinks they are better than the rest of the World' and '[censored] don't stink' type comments would be pretty close to the top of the list.

This stuff definitely works both ways and we are pretty much all as bad as each other tbh.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. but its not the differences everyone makes it out to be. Personally, and this is my opinion, I think generally, most people in the US hold the same values about family, friends, stealing, consumerism, etc. But there are regional difference in regards to religion, accents etc, but basically everyone is pretty well the same imo. Everyone is bound to disagree, the stupid [censored] liberals in the north will claim how much better they are than the southerners, and the southerners will say how stuckup and elitist the morons up north are etc, but in all reality, there aint much difference.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Of all the dumb assumptions he could make about you just because you are an American, to assume you did not vote against G.W. Bush can hardly be the worst. He was actually likely to be right.

And part of why you should treat other countries well, is that if people dislike you for your foreign policies they're going to take it out on all Americans, not just the ones who admit to have supported the current president. It's the game-theorietically sensible thing to do.