Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Tilt control

This question is towards those who have moved up stakes in NL. In limit, if you take a beat, it's for a few bets. Sure it sucks, but it's just another average pot. In no limt, you can get your money in great and lose to some three outer. This has been one of my problems. I insta-tilt. I've been on a downswing that is only exasperated by tilt plays. How do you adjust?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Tilt control

[ QUOTE ]
This question is towards those who have moved up stakes in NL. In limit, if you take a beat, it's for a few bets. Sure it sucks, but it's just another average pot. In no limt, you can get your money in great and lose to some three outer. This has been one of my problems. I insta-tilt. I've been on a downswing that is only exasperated by tilt plays. How do you adjust?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of have the same problem except I don't tilt, I just quit and go home.

NL is a game where you can work for 3 hours grinding your stack up and up and up, then get it all in with AA preflop vs. one opponent who manages to hit his 2-outer and blow everything you've earned and then some in 10 seconds. God I hate it, hate it, hate it.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Playing lots of tables online helps mitigate this for me. I can't imagine single tabling NL for any length of time for the reason PJ stated. I need "the long run" just to comfort me in NL. Like at the end of a 2k hand session I'll at least have had my aces hold up once or twice so I don't think its completely rigged [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 PM

You get used to it. Before you know it, you won't even notice you got stacked.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Lucky for you that you play online. I play online here and there, but mostly live. So us live players really have to suck it up.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lucky for you that you play online. I play online here and there, but mostly live. So us live players really have to suck it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL level?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You get used to it. Before you know it, you won't even notice you got stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I never tilt these days. I went busto once (or nearly, I found $60 in a party account I didn't know I had, and blackjacked it up to $500 for a new roll) down to tilting after 2 stacking in about 3 minutes, and proceeding to go into a game so big my whole roll was on one table, and that cured me. Seriously.

Playing within your roll will also help a lot. Losing a buyin with 30 behind is way less affecting than losing a buyin with 8 behind. And losing one with 100 behind is nothing.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This question is towards those who have moved up stakes in NL. In limit, if you take a beat, it's for a few bets. Sure it sucks, but it's just another average pot. In no limt, you can get your money in great and lose to some three outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

just lol
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This question is towards those who have moved up stakes in NL. In limit, if you take a beat, it's for a few bets. Sure it sucks, but it's just another average pot. In no limt, you can get your money in great and lose to some three outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

just lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the "lol" here. Not tilting is one of the major aspects of poker that determines whether you win or lose. Do you not agree that beats at NL are worse than limit?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the "lol" here. Not tilting is one of the major aspects of poker that determines whether you win or lose. Do you not agree that beats at NL are worse than limit?

[/ QUOTE ]I think beats are far more anoying in limit. I used to play 3/6 6 max a ton on party a while back, and just started playing NL after about 1/2 year off. I know it is about the gayest annalogy ever, but playing limit is literaly like getting in a fight with you hands tied behind your back. If I get my stack in as a 80-20 favorite in NL and loose it doesn't bother me at all because I know my opponent made a huge mistake. But if in limit I lose to runner runner or something it would get under my skin, because "I had my hands tied behind my back" and couldn't get my opponent to make a larger mistake. I got all in the other day at NL on the flop as a 96% favorite and lost to runner runner, and I literaly just laughed and reloaded, if that happned in limit it would have driven me crazy.