Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Default NLHE cash game buyin - what\'s the minimum?

Hey guys. I was wondering what you find to be an appropriate minimum buyin for an NLHE cash game.

In the game I want to start running, we use 5c & 25c chips with 10c/25c blinds. I would consider making the minimum buyin 40xbb ($10), however, this does weaken some of the gameplay. I think smaller stacks are more "casual friendly", but they can lead to some gambling-like situations, which can also be good for the degenerates.

Any advice on what works?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: NLHE cash game buyin - what\'s the minimum?

[ QUOTE ]

Any advice on what works?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "what works"

Min, IMO, should be 30-40xBB in a PL/NL game. Most people will figure out that they want in for more than that anyway.

Note that a low min buy-in may turn off your regulars/better big-bet players
Old 07-19-2007, 05:21 PM

my advice would be never put a minimum buy-in unless you have people buying in for like a dollar. People who are going to buy in for $5 usually suck anyways and their money will not last very long in front of them. It also gives the game a more friendly feel: "Can I rebuy for my last $5? Sure, whatever you want."

My big recommendation though would be to change your blinds up. .10/.25 would be a real pain I would think. .25/.50 or just .25/.25 would be more fluid I think....get rid of those nickles.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....get rid of those nickles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my advice would be never put a minimum buy-in unless you have people buying in for like a dollar. People who are going to buy in for $5 usually suck anyways and their money will not last very long in front of them. It also gives the game a more friendly feel: "Can I rebuy for my last $5? Sure, whatever you want."

My big recommendation though would be to change your blinds up. .10/.25 would be a real pain I would think. .25/.50 or just .25/.25 would be more fluid I think....get rid of those nickles.

[/ QUOTE ]

.25/.50 would require a $20 buyin for 50xBB, which is a little bit too "high" for the casual audience. We're all grad students and/or moderately poor.

We did some short-handed play last night with .10/.25 blinds and it went off pretty well, so the nickels don't bother any of the players.

I am *kind of* reluctant to require larger buyins because the larger the stacks, the more skill you need, and there are some super-skilled NL cash game players in our game (11BB/100 $400NL players).

Anyway, thanks for your input fellas [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Manomanman
Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....get rid of those nickles.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of your face [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM

We do .25/.25 because the nickels are a a pain and .25/.50 was too rich. Once someone raises or calls the nickels are not needed. Sure you don't have a small blind, but it pumps up the action a little.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am *kind of* reluctant to require larger buyins because the larger the stacks, the more skill you need, and there are some super-skilled NL cash game players in our game (11BB/100 $400NL players).

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL That's probably a good sample size where they got those numbers and are now playing .10/.25 no limit... I say let the min buyin be $5 and go from there
Old 07-22-2007, 04:43 AM

If you're playing those stakes I guess you're doing this more for the social aspect. Screw minimum buy ins in that case, people coming by for a drink might buy in for their change and try parlay, as will someone who just lost what is their comfortable level of cash that night, sometimes keeping another player in the game when it is getting shorthanded. If people start buying in really short as a rule then you might have to reconsider things but I doubt it'll be a problem.