All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in Thailand. If any of y'all want to meet up and chill holla at me. What club are you talking about ofdabeat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hu'u on sathorn
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM

Iwantbooze just go to www.breitling.com and then look at the watches. i have seen some ok ones in Samui for 2700without bartering. subdials were very clear tho. hesitant to buy any tho without an expert eye. ha
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

I dont feel like reading 186 pages, but what are you guys doing in thailand? You got family there? living there because its so cheap? Or you got a job there?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel like reading 186 pages, but what are you guys doing in thailand? You got family there? living there because its so cheap? Or you got a job there?

[/ QUOTE ]
PM Degen, he should be able to answer this for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 AM

The little research I've done tells me that December is when the weather starts to get good, marking the beginning of the "high" season. How much do prices increase at this time? Same with tourism - does it get really packed? e.g. will I be able to snorkle in peace or will there be hundreds of other tourists snorkling too?

Could someone please clarify the Visa rules regarding the whole 90-day thing? What's the best solution if I wanna get there around December and leave in March? Should I just cut the trip to 12/15 - 3/15 to avoid the hassle of having to leave the country for Visa reasons?

Also, I'm sure this has been answered before, but what's the recommended method of renting an apartment for 3 months? Are craigslist listings worth looking at? I'm looking at some of the apts listed there and the cool looking 1BRs seem to be in the 20-25,000 baht range ($700-850 USD) - is that to be expected, or do better deals exist?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Could someone please clarify the Visa rules regarding the whole 90-day thing? What's the best solution if I wanna get there around December and leave in March? Should I just cut the trip to 12/15 - 3/15 to avoid the hassle of having to leave the country for Visa reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Get 60-day visa from Thai consolate in your country.
2. After 60 days, go on Visa run and get 30-day visa.
3. After 30 days, go on Visa run and get 30-day visa.
4. Repeat 3.
5. If you want to stay longer, go to Thai consulate in foreign capital and get 60-day visa.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 AM

I am so offended you left Vientiane off the list of possible cities to fly to. Plus it's only like 5000 baht round-trip from bkk.

Paul, if you hate visa runs and are not on a budget, go with what Wally said.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Do you guys know if it is possible to buy a 5 year visa or something like that?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 AM

There are two short visas:

1. Tourist visa - you need to get this at an actual embassy/consulate. This is 60 days and u can extend it for 30 days. After this, you can go to Kuala Lumpoor, Penang, etc whatever to get the same thing and come back.

2. Visa on Arival - As your coming in, they give you this, so you don't need to do anything before hand. It is only valid for 30 days, and after that, you can head to any border (up north we go to Mae Sai) and get another 30 day visa. NB They did change the rules last october saying that after 90 days on a Visa on Arrival, you can not get it again for 90 days after that (3 x 30 day stamps max per 180 day period)

So, if you are out of your country now, I would suggest getting a 60+30 Tourist visa (some countries you can get a year, so try for that).

Now, if you want to stay for a long term, when you arrive, ask them to NOT stamp and use this. Get the visa on arrival. Then do a border run 2 more times. After this, head to a border (or maybe u can just go to immigration, i dunno) and tell them to use your Tourist Visa. This will last 3 momths (2 months plus go to immigration to extend for 3rd month) and then you can go and do 3 more monthly border runs. That gives you 9 months without leaving the country other than a border run.

After that, you need to head to one of those countries to get a new 60+30 Tourist visa, then when that is used up, do 3 border runs. Rinse and repeat every 6 months.

Or if you don't mind travelling to another country, you can just get a new Tourist visa every 3 months.
Closed Thread