Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: 50/100 A hi value bet?

[ QUOTE ]

edit: dean, your line is really really bad theory-wise. of all the lines you could have taken, this is the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

I think c/calling the flop is better than c/raising. I would always 3-bet in the BB here too but I am not convinced it is necessarilly better than c/raising the flop instead.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: dean, your line is really really bad theory-wise. of all the lines you could have taken, this is the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

bz,

can you explain this? what line or lines would you advocate?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 AM

There is very little value mixing it up with AK here unless you and your opponent know each other very well. 3 bet pf everytime against unknowns.

As played checkraise flop and bet river.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:17 AM

Whenever someone calls in the BB with AK or AQ, I always thought it was with the intention of c/r'ing just about any flop.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 AM

I like it all around. As for the river raise...yeah i probably call it if i'm playing but i think you could make an argument for folding cause he just isn't going to bluff raise really there that often at all.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 AM

I also mix in this preflop play of smoothcalling monsters like AK on occasion, and hear from many 2+2ers that I'm supposed to CR most flops. I never fully understood what the point of that was. On a lot of flops most hands that are folding are worse and most hands that are staying (at least temporarily) are better. It makes very litte sense to me. So I have a monster preflop, great. Now on the flop I have AK high, not even close to a monster. It's a slightly above-average hand and any action I get from my opponent often means I'm behind or am against a draw with 6 extra pair outs. So because I missed a bet preflop, I have to make it up instantly on the flop? I think my equity changes relative to my opponent's often enough that a flop CR certainly shouldn't be a standard play. What's so bad about check/calling and see a cheap turn card? You might even induce a bluff from some crappy T9 high that is hoping you peeled with a weak hand and will fold on the turn. I'm open to an explanation to convince me otherwise of course.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:34 AM

I think the hand is well played. I would not checkraise this flop with AK very often. I would also probably lean towards check/calling the river most of the time if the final board does not have a 3rd heart/jack and he bets the turn.

I don't think that 3betting preflop or not 3betting preflop is a big difference either way.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 AM

this is a really standard value bet in my opinion. Most players in the 50/100 (at least on partypoker) are so aggressive with hands that lack showdown value that I think his range is pretty heavily weighted tozards aces and Kx. Aces always call and you will get some calls from Kx as well.

Even if he does have a hand like JT, he wont always bluff it. The fact that he checked the turn with it probably means his river bluffing frequency wont be as high as someone who bet the turn with that sort of hand.

Id also call a raise.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 AM

I think if you just called preflop (I never do that) then check calling the flop is best.