Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Default College Football -- replay rule?

What is the replay rule in college football? Does it vary by conference? I always thought that there was a replay official and he/they reviewed the plays. A coach can call timeout and hope that the extra time gives them (replay officials) time to review it .... but can a coach/team ask?

Referring to the OSU/Ill game where the Illinois fumble wasn't reviewed and the Big Ten later apologized for that. Could Tressel have asked for it to be reviewed?

Thanks,

--Headhunter
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: College Football -- replay rule?

In the B10, coaches can make a challenge (subject to losing a TO if they're wrong) or the replay people can review it sua sponte (effing law school, I mean they can just up and do it on their own). So there's some burden on each party. I think coaches only get 1 challenge a game though so obviously you've got to be judicious in deciding when to challenge. But the replay officials really need to be far more competent, not just in the B10 but in general.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM

I just read that the Big Ten prohibits assistant coaches from having TVs in the press box because "every play is reviewed by the officials in the booth."

This is so retarded is makes me want to puke. OBVIOUSLY THE AUTOMATIC REVIEW DOESN'T WORK [censored]. Mistakes like the one in the Illinois game are completely inexcusable and make the conference look really bad.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Seems the important thing is being the ones in charge of the situation and determining what happens, not, you know, getting the most calls right possible. Good job, Big Ten. Although I'm frankly impressed they haven't just barred the showing of replays generally so as to prevent anyone from proving their incompetence.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM

generally,
yeah...all the coverage and angles available today just highlight the incompetence that has always existed

in the specific case,
there is some debate, but that call definitely looked really bad
-there is no debate that he fumbled
-the only debate is whether the ball touched him when he was falling out-of-bounds which would have made it a dead ball
-it's a big argument on different forums but I go with 95/5 that the ball didn't hit Dufrene again--really need the endzone view to know for sure

--there was an issue in the replay booth for that game and they couldn't review any play! There were two later plays that should have definitely been reviewed in which receivers looked like they caught the ball and fumbled (one for each team)

back to the general case,
what bothers me most is the replays that do happen sometimes get stuff wrong. Nothing is worse than Oregon-Oklahoma last year, but it's not like that is the only case of a blown replay.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Does anyone know who does replay reviews? Are these guys who are former officials who are too old to ref anymore? Is Grandpa Simpson in charge of the review? Because that would explain a lot.

That Oregon St/Washington call was just atrocious, too. Both in real time and not reviewing it.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read that the Big Ten prohibits assistant coaches from having TVs in the press box because "every play is reviewed by the officials in the booth."

Add to that .... the officials working the OSU-ILL game were on probation for the way they f-ed up the Purdue-PSU game the week before. Nice.

--Headhunter
Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Nothing will ever compare to the Oklahoma/Oregon review decision, which not only clearly showed the Oregon touched the ball early. It also showed Oklahoma recovered the ball.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dSIykYoM260
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

I swear, the Pac-10 officials must be trying to top themselves every week, the call in the Oregon St/Washington game was just as incompetent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I swear, the Pac-10 officials must be trying to top themselves every week, the call in the Oregon St/Washington game was just as incompetent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored] that is beyond awful